All about putting stickers and decals on cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, stickers can hide any corrosion or other loss of integrity on a tank. They are inspected on the outside as well as the inside. That's why I put any stickers I like on the tank boot.

On the other hand, as roakey mentioned, Aqualung puts one of their big oval stickers on their tanks so what's the diff?

You can put all the stickers you want on a tank....you just should scrape them off before inspection!

Ahhhh...okay...

so I guess using spackle is also a no-no? :p

In my first PSI class the instructor told a story about some farmer that brought in a cylinder and asked it to be filled. He was "just going to use it to fill tires."

It was out of VIP so the shop said they had to inspect it. It had one sticker on it. When the shop removed the sticker, they found a round dot under it. When they spun the valve off they figured out what had happened.

It was a condemned cylinder that had been drilled but the DOT markings had not been struck out. The farmer had found it, tapped the hole and put a bolt in it and ground it off flush with the exterior of the cylinder and covered it with a sticker.

I wonder what caliber bullet that would have been... :(

Roak

my guess would be something like a .22
but just a guess. :boom:

Are the stickers an issue on steel and aluminum tanks?

I have a big red DAN sticker on my tank. I like knowing that in an emergency I can find their number right away. But I would probably remove it for an inspection.

BTW: What about those tank wrap graphics that you can buy for your tank and use a hair dryer to shrink wrap onto the tank? are they a problem? Or what about the ones at my LDS that have hand painted scenes on them what do they do about them.

If my LDS sold me a tank and 5 years later I cam in to have it inspected and they said we have to take off all the paint I'd be rather on the peeved side?

You can order those hand painted ones from a lot of the bigger online shops too?

Anything on your steel tanks that can hide rust is an issue -- paint, stickers, tank boot. Avoid putting stickers on the outside. If you have a boot, remove it after every dive while rinsing the tank.

Originally posted by roakey
In my first PSI class the instructor told a story about some farmer that brought in a cylinder and asked it to be filled. He was "just going to use it to fill tires."

It was out of VIP so the shop said they had to inspect it. It had one sticker on it. When the shop removed the sticker, they found a round dot under it. When they spun the valve off they figured out what had happened.

It was a condemned cylinder that had been drilled but the DOT markings had not been struck out. The farmer had found it, tapped the hole and put a bolt in it and ground it off flush with the exterior of the cylinder and covered it with a sticker.

I wonder what caliber bullet that would have been... :(

Roak

I think we need a "brain dead" icon on the board, the normal bomb is just not enough :egrin:

Hi!

A while ago I "fell" onto a website that were selling tank stickers.

I just have had my steel tanks sandblasted and repainted, so now I want to add some fun. The stickers I saw was like the "Energizer" batteries, but I'm not able to find that company again.

Or should I just paint them with stars and stripes ;-)

Can anyone here help with some guidance? :scubadive

Rgds

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom