All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My almost new Pioneer 27 wing sprang a leak today after diving. Air is bubbling out on the lower right (tank side) near where the vertical webbing is at the bottom. It's not on a seam which is suprising. The material looks fine from the outside, but air is leaking out. I contacted Halcyon and I'm waiting to see what their response will be. Anyone have a similar problem?

zimm
If you do a search regarding "...repairing a Halcyon wing" there will be further information regarding others having similar experiences.

I recently noticed a pinhole appearing underneath the tank on one of my wings. It is in a "protected area" as opposed to an exposed portion of the wing. I called Halcyon and didn't receive the "customer service" I had expected the first time. The second time I called back I spoke with a guy named Charlie. Was real helpful, said to send it back and they would take a look at it. He indicated that seam issues were covered by warranty but wasn't sure what they were going to do about a pinhole. Needed to take a look at it first.

Regards
Don

dcostanza once bubbled...
He indicated that seam issues were covered by warranty but wasn't sure what they were going to do about a pinhole. Needed to take a look at it first.
If they don't want to replace it, perhaps you could just find all of the instances of pinhole problems that have already been reported on Scubaboard and forward the to Halcyon. Unless there are zillions of Pioneer wings out there, even just the number of pinholes reported on this forum is pretty amazing.

I would not be surprised if there is some sort of recall soon.

Thats too bad guys...

Maybe they'll buy you an Oxycheq wing, everyone else is buying them... I think Halcyon is going to have to do something about this problem.

Please post their response to you...

Recall? Hey come on that is not cool to speculate about stuff like that.

Also, the guys at Halcyon have excellent warranty and service. If there is something wrong with anything you got, they will fix it or replace it. There have been a few posts about leaking bcds and all of a sudden some people try to turn it into a huge issue with Halcyon. If you want to be objective and fair, can you absolutely 100% guarantee that there is no way that an accidental puncture could have taken place with some of these wings? The original poster of the message probably has a legit issue as his was brand new, but how many people have we all seen stuffing bcs in gear bags, setting gear on top of them, setting them down on rocks etc.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Also, the guys at Halcyon have excellent warranty and service. If there is something wrong with anything you got, they will fix it or replace it.
There's been numerous problems reported of late with Halcyon wings - some of the problems seem to stem from sharp edges on the backplate slicing the wing, other problems are just unexplained holes, and others are seam leakage on Pioneer wings.

Halcyon's customer service response reported from people experiencing these problems, on this and other boards, are that failed seams will be warrantied, any other type of hole will NOT be covered.

I have to admit I had a Pioneer 36 which developed a hole in the side gusset, and it was replaced no question, several months ago. Other owners however have reported less success at having their problems addressed, including problems with wings with a single dive on them.

Recall? Hey come on that is not cool to speculate about stuff like that.

Dude, when are you going to wake up and smell the coffee? They obviously have a problem. Is halcyon going to be just like Uwatec/Scubapro, and try to cover it up? Admit nothing, and try to let it pass?? Well, this doesnt seem to be going away. Its getting to be ALOT of people are having problems with the wing? What is Halcyon going to do?

I believe a recall is in order until they figure out whats going on...
They probably should also think about a design or materials change...

Also, the guys at Halcyon have excellent warranty and service. If there is something wrong with anything you got, they will fix it or replace it.

They never did squat for me. I got a hole in a 36# wing on my first dive with it and have no real idea how it got there. They not only won't warranty it but could not advise on how to fix it.

If you like the halcyon wing thats great but I for one won't buy another one as long as the materials are as delicate as they are (I know I'm not the only one either) The customer service lacks in my opinon because they did nothing at all to solve the problem or even understand it.

bridgediver once bubbled...

If you like the halcyon wing thats great but I for one won't buy another one as long as the materials are as delicate as they are (I know I'm not the only one either) The customer service lacks in my opinon because they did nothing at all to solve the problem or even understand it.

Ok, so add me to the tally who have had problems with my pioneer wing (27#). Mine is not brand new, but it has developed numerous small punctures and, no, I haven't bothered to report it to Halcyon since my wing is more than 1 year old, and no, I don't treat my BC poorly. I don't set it down on rocks and I always pack my gear carefully. The point is, I don't feel it has been a very robust product. I'm patiently waiting for the Oxycheq 30# to become available. In the meantime, I repair the small pinholes with Aquaseal and it works.

I personally went through 3 Pioneer wings from 1997 to 1999 when I was a dealer for them. The issue with the wings and seam leaks is nothing new, and a very big part of the reason that Patrick and I developed the wings that OxyCheq is now marketing.

If anyone is in need of a new wing, ping me, I have an introductory price available for a week or two longer that is an outstanding deal on a superb product.

Also, we can provide the wings with 12, 14, or 16" inflators.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom