Alkin W31 vs Bauer Oceanus E1 - A Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iain/hsm

Contributor
Reaction score
@iain/hsm

You are so freakin rude, hostile and incredibly toxic. You do NOT add any positive or constructive anything in this thread.
Thank you so much that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.
I do value your opinion however wrong it may be and as this is an all inviting inclusive forum we should welcome that your feelings take precedence over truth and substance. I now consider myself truly humbled by your generous comments.Thank you so much LOL

iain/hsm

Contributor
Reaction score
You can't read I said LOCAL.
Forgive me for this American English is not my first language.

Wrong, I went and looked sure enough under high pressure breathing compressor it's list

So tell me when you did finally find the Alkin W31 on the Alkin web site under paintball was it with a Briggs and Statton light duty engine as supplied to the OP or is it still showing the more expensive yet elusive Honda GTX LOL

formernuke

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Forgive me for this American English is not my first language.

So tell me when you did finally find the Alkin W31 on the Alkin web site under paintball was it with a Briggs and Statton light duty engine as supplied to the OP or is it still showing the more expensive yet elusive Honda GTX LOL
Under breathing compressor.

Now I did state that I have an electric model so the CO isn't as big an issue because I don't have a gas motor attached to the unit. The rest of issues the OP described with brief use I also haven't experienced.

iain/hsm

Contributor
Reaction score
Some pictures of both compressors:
View attachment 736095

Some unique features of the Alkin W31 paintball/Airgun compressor you would be hard pushed to see
on any other competent manufacturer of high pressure breathing air compressors.

In no real order of magnitude, but to kick off while we wait for the RPM question to be answered. First consider the high pressure relief valve.

Its upside down, Strange you say why mount a relief valve upside down where all the dust durt junk particulate matter and any condensate droplets get to nest inside the safety relief valve clogging up the operating mechanism and seat.

Why not fit it as instructed upright so the dust and dust flows past. Note its an American made relief valve so this may indicate something done by Alkin USA and not Turkey. Feel free to disagree.

Attachments

• 20220622_071213.jpg
    20220622_071213.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 22

iain/hsm

Contributor
Reaction score
Under breathing compressor.

Now I did state that I have an electric model so the CO isn't as big an issue because I don't have a gas motor attached to the unit. The rest of issues the OP described with brief use I also haven't experienced.

I'm sorry to disagree but CO is a big issue regardless of prime mover (Gas or Electric) in breathing air compressors especially for divers and especially with localised oil overheat on the discharge side of the valves with 3 stages and the high compression ratios magnified four fold when advertising a high discharge pressure rating. Another claim of the ALKIN group that need further discussion with divers.

Again also amplified with Alkin is their claim these compressors are rated for continuous duty.

We can get to the CO issue on these Alkin's in due course but for now the question is was it it a Briggs and Stratton as supplied to the OP on the adverts and web site you describe or the more expensive and industrial rated Honda GTX as advertised in the photos.

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
NO. Heck just read a few posts on the subject before making a wild ass guess.

So, who you are you and what is your role in the compressor business please?

formernuke

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm sorry to disagree but CO is a big issue regardless of prime mover (Gas or Electric) in breathing air compressors especially for divers and especially with localised oil
CO is a big concern. Let's use basic science.

CO primarily comes from burning fuel gas, propane natural gas etc. For compressors also from oil leaking through into the air.

So we take two compressors, one electric one gas powered. Both have the same intake filters. Could both get some from oil as well, yes of course but the amount from oil will be the same. Which one will output more CO prior to any filtering? The gas one why, simple there is an exhaust right next to the intake. So it is bringing in more CO than the electric to start with.

So very basic science tells us that an electric compressor will have less CO output than a gas, hence CO is not as big a concern with electric.

Isn't real science fun.

Top Bottom