Alki Jerks strike again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks For your idea Rick I for one had not thought of that.

As I have a little extra time on my hands at the time I will park my Butt down and send emails to the shops I know of in the area of this dive site.

It could not hurt to ask them to help
well I know they are doing all they can but would be more then glad to pass your idea on they cant do more then ignore
me I gess.

I would hate to lose this site It is one of my favorites for many reasons.

Sparky

Well, I was out at Cove 1 with a class yesterday ... and the shenanigans at Cove 2 continue. I walked over to Cove 2 briefly before class, and noticed an instructor's dive buoy inside the restricted area. I asked around and found out who's class it was and asked him to move the flag. He told me it was tied to the boundary line, and that the current and outgoing tide were pushing it into the restricted zone. I explained to him that it it didn't matter, the bouy was inside the zone, and that it shouldn't be. Besides, it's not a good idea to conduct a class on the boundary line (some instructors like to have their students holding on the line while conducting exercises) ... too easy for new divers to stray. I asked nicely him to move the bouy at least 20 feet inside the boundary line. He agreed and did.

A short time later ... while back at Cove 1 ... I watched the water taxi come in on approach and suddenly abort .. doing a large circle back out into Elliott Bay. As he circled back in I heard over his loudspeaker ... "ATTENTION DIVERS, YOU ARE IN A RESTRICTED AREA". After waiting another couple of minutes he was able to approach his docking space. But if I heard the announcement ... all the way over in Cove 1 ... you can bet that several hundred others did as well ... all over the park. That's really bad.

What can I say ... we've lost this battle. If the city came in tomorrow and hoisted the NO DIVING signs, I'd have to agree with them that we ... as a community ... failed to live up to our end of the bargain. Clearly the lack of respect paid by so many divers exposes the flaw in our efforts to keep this dive site open to the public. You can't save people from their own stupidity.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob:
I was wondering would this efect the diving is Cove # as well it being so close to the Taxi Lane ?

I had not thought of it befor but it would make sence to me.
I would hate to lose that site as well I have 2 or 3 dives in Cove 3 and would like to do more its a good site to.

Sparky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom