Algorithm for the VYTEC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am about to decide between the Vytec, Smartcom and Air Z and could do with some information - particularly from you guys using the Vytec.

The new algorithm - how exactly does it work for microbubble supression. Do you get extra deeper stops or does it just sort of add conservativism by merely reducing your no decompression time and hence bottom time.

I have read that this is the case with the Smartcom.

Any clues

Cheers

puddlediver once bubbled...
I am about to decide between the Vytec, Smartcom and Air Z and could do with some information - particularly from you guys using the Vytec.

The new algorithm - how exactly does it work for microbubble supression. Do you get extra deeper stops or does it just sort of add conservativism by merely reducing your no decompression time and hence bottom time.

I have read that this is the case with the Smartcom.

Any clues

Cheers
Look at
http://www.scubaboard.com/t28504/sac2350b7f3c0c7816c9fc5432e67a7d4.html
V.

I have a vyper, which uses the same algorythm as the vytec and I have nothing but praise for the unit. There is so much user customization and it is so easy to use that there isno need to upgrade even in deco stops, unless you want the multiple gas features of the vytec. The algorythm works well from my experience with other divers with different computers. You can definetely notice the RBGM. The only other computer I would buy is a cobra/vytec for the air time remaining data and gas switching.

rescuediver009 once bubbled...
I have a vyper, which uses the same algorythm as the vytec and I have nothing but praise for the unit. There is so much user customization and it is so easy to use that there isno need to upgrade even in deco stops, unless you want the multiple gas features of the vytec. The algorythm works well from my experience with other divers with different computers. You can definetely notice the RBGM. The only other computer I would buy is a cobra/vytec for the air time remaining data and gas switching.

This has been discussed elsewhere, but in summary:

The algorithm is not the same, though Suunto only tells you about one part of it. The Vytec allows you to water-down the RGBM modeling using RGBM50 instead of the standard RGBM100 (which is the only model available on the Cobra/Vyper, etc.)

Also, people diving with both a Cobra and a Vytec or a Vytec and a Vyper have noticed that, even without this change, the Vytec's algorithm is different, at least for calculating CNS saturation. *shrug* if you can afford the Vytec, I'd bet it's one of, if not the, best computers out there right now. Given Uwatec's track record, I wouldn't trust them any further than I could throw them (which is not far underwater!), and the Oceanic computers are known to be more liberal, hence carry more risk.

The Suunto's are safe, though you may have to come up a bit before your buddy who's diving with an Oceanic -- key is, you're less likely to get bent.

I went for the Vytec since my local Suunto dealer was giving a GREAT deal on it... only US$60 more than the Vyper... without the transmitter of course... but the Vytec for US$370 is a GREAT deal any which way you slice it... so I forked over the additional cash and got the Vytec instead.

I'm very happy with it... it's great cuz if I didn't sleep well the night before a dive... or feel tired... I just set my conservative settings (P1, RGBM100) ... If I'm well rested and everything's ok, I set it at a normal P0, RGBM50.

And since I'm starting my nitrox classes next week, it's great that the Vytec can grow with my progress... and can handle everything short of trimix.

And should I ever come across a large load of sunken treasure or something, I can upgrade it and get the transmitter!!! :lol:

Honestly, either the Vyper or Vytec are excellent choices. I was originally looking at Uwatec, but I decided against it since they still use water-contact buttons which don't work if you're using gloves.

Don't get me wrong, if I could get the vytec for only $60 more, I would go for it too, but the vyper has all the features that you mentioned you liked about the vytec like the conservatism settings and the nitrox compatability. The only things missing on the vyper that the vytec are the gas switching and the wireless transmission

:) That's why I got they Vytec... everyone was telling me that it was overkill since I'm still about to take Nitrox...but for $60 more? Why not?

I was really going to get the Vyper...it's an excellent computer (despite what other people say) and most of the dive instructors here swear by it...although some do find it too conservative...I don't mind...better safe than bent.

Vytec allows more aggressive diving with the RGBM50 instead of just teh 100 setting though... but that's not really a big issue for me. Suunto makes good computers in general...a few lemons here and there but over-all pretty good.

Tech divers stay away... go with a Nitek or VR3. Suunto's aren't designed with tech divers in mind. "techie" divers maybe, not tech-divers. :wink:

rescuediver009 once bubbled...
Don't get me wrong, if I could get the vytec for only $60 more, I would go for it too, but the vyper has all the features that you mentioned you liked about the vytec like the conservatism settings and the nitrox compatability. The only things missing on the vyper that the vytec are the gas switching and the wireless transmission

Not quite -- as mentioned, the Vytec allows you to "tone down" the conservatism (make it a more liberal model). In addition, it seems to not accelerate CNS O2 loading when the PPO2 is > 1.4 (the other Suunto's do, apparently).

The Vyper, Cobra, etc. let you *add* conservativism -- by changing the altitude and personal setting, you can set it to bring you up sooner. The Vytec has the ability of going the other way, also, allowing you to stay down longer.

A few nice feature... and for the $60 difference, a good buy. But if we were talking the difference between a $400 Cobra and a $900 Vytec (w/transmitter) then I'd definitely be picking the Cobra at this point! :)

The conservatism on the vyper not only affects the bottom time but the ascent rates and deco time should that be involved. Which of these do you use? I commonly use the vyper, and have test dived the cobra and vytec (w/o transmitter). They all use the same RBGM model

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom