Alexander Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB:
First, this is indeed a simple dive. But losing interest after 10 or 15 minutes is more a function of your attention level than the spring. I 've been to Alexander twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have about 175 minutes UW there, and I'm looking forward to returning. It all depends on why you dive.

During my dives I had several highlights. Exploring the crevices is pretty cool. If you take it slow you can get fairly much inside these holes and explore the interior. This isn't a cave dive, but there are some beautiful formations if you slow down and look. I also spent the better part of an hour watching turtles from UW. Counted at least 6 different types of turtles, and you can actually see how they spread their toes when they swim - but only if you look. On another dive, I was playing in the weedlines and just stopped and slowed my breathing. Within minutes there were hoards of crappie & bluegills coming to explore me. Got so close to look into my mask that I could see the red marking inside their throats, as well as the 3 mini teeth tucked just inside their lips. Back in the "deep" areas there also a fair amount of digging thru the rubble to find treasures that the boil kicks out.

Hey I like Alexander, but you have to be ready to do some slow exploration, and to look at things twice. This is a lovely example of a FL ecosystem that most folks here never see.

Excellent insight, MB. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and notice the less obvious things.
Kurt

The dive shop in Deland has closed down. I noticed a "For Lease" sign out front last week. The mural on the front wall is still quite interesting, though. I've been using Deltona Professional Dive Center on the corner of 17-92 & Enterprise Rd for fills & small stuff for a while, & that would be the next closest place I have any personal knowledge of. Post back if anyone needs directions or phone #.

On a midsummer morning I've seen it fill up at about 10 AM. at the earliest, and yes they do stop the incoming line when the parking lot gets full. If I were you & were on vacation etc, I would try gto show up by 9 at the latest, as it would really blow to miss a preplanned dive. There is more diving to the west, but it is a decent drive. The next closest dive sight I can think of is Blue Springs in Orange City. Blue Spring would probably hold most diver's interest longer than Alexander, but as MB said, it is a matter of how you approach the dive. I find Blue Springs gets REALLY crowded at times, as all the OW divers end up in one large "shaft" that turns into a cavern zone past 60'. Post back to this thread when it gets close to the date, maybe I'll be able to join you.

Sorry that I forgot to answer the second part of your question, NachoDaddy. My best estimate would be a 200 yard hike if you managed to get a good spot, no more than 300 yards if you parked on the far end of the lot.

One thing to remember is that you need to register at the office for scuba and you must have a buddy. At least you did when I was there last in 1999.

A buddy is not required when diving @ Alexander. One IS required @ Blue Springs. I don't know what the rules were like in '99, but I am certain that these rules apply now.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom