Alexander Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i don't think so, skatingsailor... your best bet would be to bring two tanks with you,
or pick some up at Ocala, Palatka, or Daytona, whichever way you are coming.

maybe someone else knows something. sorry!

There us a shop in Deland I don't know the name it's on US 15

Ask Scubafool, he uses the shop in Deland a bunch.

Simbrook, you don't need but a single tank as max depth is 27'. You should get about 2 hours bottom time. Rent a tank in Orlando and take it. Alexander is mildly interesting for about 10 minutes.

Opps, it isn't Simbrook who's going. Skatingsailor, same info but rent a tank in Deland.

Been there, done it twice, once as a look see what is there and in the shallows, the other was a skills dive just practicing stuff, personally i only got about 60 mins off an 80 on that dive, but i suck on air as many of you know! Might get about 80 mins now though as i am getting better. The boil has enough room to practice things - we hung around about 15-18ft most of the dive - it does get dull though!

First, this is indeed a simple dive. But losing interest after 10 or 15 minutes is more a function of your attention level than the spring. I 've been to Alexander twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have about 175 minutes UW there, and I'm looking forward to returning. It all depends on why you dive.

During my dives I had several highlights. Exploring the crevices is pretty cool. If you take it slow you can get fairly much inside these holes and explore the interior. This isn't a cave dive, but there are some beautiful formations if you slow down and look. I also spent the better part of an hour watching turtles from UW. Counted at least 6 different types of turtles, and you can actually see how they spread their toes when they swim - but only if you look. On another dive, I was playing in the weedlines and just stopped and slowed my breathing. Within minutes there were hoards of crappie & bluegills coming to explore me. Got so close to look into my mask that I could see the red marking inside their throats, as well as the 3 mini teeth tucked just inside their lips. Back in the "deep" areas there also a fair amount of digging thru the rubble to find treasures that the boil kicks out.

Hey I like Alexander, but you have to be ready to do some slow exploration, and to look at things twice. This is a lovely example of a FL ecosystem that most folks here never see.

I am going to Alexander Springs in a few weeks. I've heard that when the parking lot is filled, they turn people away. Is this true?

How early should one get there on a busy summer weekend day? How far is the walk from the parking lot?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom