Alexander springs changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angry Turtle

Contributor
Reaction score
renovated springs...

Just saw this article on the orlando sentinel where it says
" ...The USDA Forest Service also corrected the flow of the spring by removing 1,000 cubic yards of sand..."

Has anybody been there lately? Is the change noticeable?

I was there last week..... and the water still flows up from the vent to the surface and then down the river.

Hope this helps!

I did not notice anything different the last time I was there, and I have been there many, many times over the past 5 years. I'll post back if I see anything the next time I go.

When the Press talks about Alexander Springs they mean the camp ground, the concession stand, the sidewalk and parking and the swimming beach. When divers talk about Alexander Springs they mean the boil. Nothing new in the boil, but a lot of improvements to the park. New gatehouse, sidewalk, bathrooms and changing area. If you didn't notice that well you were too focused on the boil. :wink:

metaldector:
When the Press talks about Alexander Springs they mean the camp ground, the concession stand, the sidewalk and parking and the swimming beach. When divers talk about Alexander Springs they mean the boil. Nothing new in the boil, but a lot of improvements to the park. New gatehouse, sidewalk, bathrooms and changing area. If you didn't notice that well you were too focused on the boil. :wink:

They have all that at Alexander? WOW.... I'll have to check it out !! I just head for the water !!

metaldector:

Yeah, that was pretty much a given...I was just curious about the part where they say "...corrected the flow of the spring by removing 1,000 cubic yards of sand..."
I wondered about where exactly did they remove the sand and if it was any different from our perspective. From the replies I gather that it isn't any different.

I don't dive there often, but between the most recent dive and the previous dive I think that there was a lot of sand removed between the big boil and the secondary sand boils. I recollet having to swim up almost to the surface to go from one boil to the other. Now this isn't necessary as that sand mound isn't there.

I was there Monday, and when you go into the cave you definately feel the pull, I needed to pull myself in this time, I did not try to practice with my reel, the park is great looking, have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom