Aggressor changed boats for my upcoming trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kataqua

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I booked a trip on the Raja Ampat Aggressor II for November 2023 (at the time it was on the boat formerly known as Tambora). This is for a group of 6 friends, we selected rooms, paid a deposit and have a confirmation for the RAAII with the room numbers. This is via a third party.

I've been told the boat has been changed - there are no pictures of the 'newly renovated' Ocean Rover, no comments on room configurations / layout and while they have a discount for new bookings (making rooms cheaper than we had booked), this is not applicable for our scenario. Further there is a 20% penalty for any changes / cancellations. When things go right, nobody seems to notice and when things change part way it doesn't seem like Aggressor cares much about customer service. I requested a refund or the new discount as - without images - it's impossible to determine whether the accommodations are of comparable value and was told they are 'standing by their terms and conditions'.

I did purchase insurance, figured I'd put it out there to see if anybody has any experience or advice.

I'd never book a live aboard more than 60 days out so I can challenge via my CC company. Of course I'd read the fine print as there are just too many problem stories about live aboard.

Update: I was told the 'Tambora is being held by the Indonesia’s military and the harbor master while a legal battle goes on between the Indonesian owner/management company and the Polish partners. There is no crew aboard and will most likely deteriorate quickly.'

I had a similar problem last year when my planned Aggressor trip to the Cayman Islands was eventually switched to Roatan because of covid restrictions. My wife and I had paid extra to get a room above decks on the Cayman boat. It was a nicer room for several reasons, one of which was that you could walk out and jump in the water in case of fire, as opposed to what could have happened below decks in a fire.

The Roatan boat did not have such a room. Everything was below decks. They gave us what they said was the best room on the boat, at the very bow. It was by far the worst room on the boat for several reasons, one of which was that it was constantly bouncing in even mild seas, and another of which was it was the farthest from the exit in case of a fire.

So the fact that we had paid extra to get the worst room on the boat became a joke among the passengers, and there was nothing we could do about it. In their opinion, they had given us the best room on the boat in exchange for our extra payment.

Sorry to hear John! I don't know enough about the comparison between the Cayman Islands and Roatan Aggressor, did they simply argue this was a 'substitute of comparable value'?

I received some suggestions on how to proceed with my attempts to cancel/obtain a full refund and will try it, will report back.

Sorry to hear John! I don't know enough about the comparison between the Cayman Islands and Roatan Aggressor, did they simply argue this was a 'substitute of comparable value'?

I received some suggestions on how to proceed with my attempts to cancel/obtain a full refund and will try it, will report back.
I don't remember the details, except that they claimed we had the best room on the boat--which was a laugh.

Interesting. I am booking Agressor for November as well and glad i read this post prior to booking. Aggressor is listing different departure dates for November compared to the Ocean Rover website. I wonder if the company is just waiting to see if the original boat will be released?

If you have been downgraded in any manner, that is not provided the services you originally purchased (contracted), then this is a breach of simple contract law. You have the right to full refund.
Our group had booked 2 master rooms and the layout of the ocean rover only has 1 master, so this is the angle I intend to approach. Have you experienced this and if so, is there a specific person I should get in touch with? So far the response I have received from Aggressor was 'if you were happy with a queen bed before, you will be happy'.

Interesting. I am booking Agressor for November as well and glad i read this post prior to booking. Aggressor is listing different departure dates for November compared to the Ocean Rover website. I wonder if the company is just waiting to see if the original boat will be released?
Before I was told about the legal battle, I was previously advised my booking 'predates the marketing agreement' [between Aggressor and Tambora]. I'm under the impression Aggressor has no plans to wait on the original boat, as the Tambora was being sold as Raja Ampat Aggressor II and their fb page is celebrating the return of the Raja Ampat Aggressor following covid / renovations.

Back
Top Bottom