Aldora Divers vs Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never been to Cozumel before and have heard positive things about both Aldora Divers and Scuba Club Cozumel. Could anyone that is familiar with these places tell me about them? Location, safety, diving, tanks, nitrox availability, quality of the guides, quality of the boats, dive locations, etc? Also, I'll probably be heading here solo, any issues finding buddies?

My first trip to Cozumel was to the Galapago Inn, now SCC. Even then it had a good following. Their website has a good picture of their boats. No doubt they are fine and would not disappoint you. One possible advantage is that they are walking distance to town....at least 10-15 minutes closer than Villa Aldora.

With Aldora, you can stay at a variety of hotels including Villa Aldora north of town. They have up to 120 cu ft tanks and stop at a beach club between dives which I really like. I doubt that SCC does. Aldora fills their own tanks and yes nitrox is available as it probably is for almost all dive shops.

I have been diving with Aldora for a long time but have been with several other dive shops for research.

Both have multiple boats so matching you with divers of similar experience should not be a problem.

Either will be fine and your decision may be based upon any one of several preferences. For me, the beach surface interval is a requirement. With Aldora or many other dive ops, you are not limited as to your hotel except there are issues with many as you go north of town.

Even staying at a downtown hotel may require that you taxi to the Caleta near the Presidente for some dive ops based there. The following hotel map will help you understand where hotels are located.

Cozumel, Mexico map with hotel locations

Aldora picks up at the pier downtown, Villa Aldora up north and most/all hotels south of downtown.

I can only comment on SCC, as they are the only op that I've used... That being said... "I won't ever have to look for another one".

Aldora is highly, highly recommended on many threads in this forum. I know that the former President uses them when he visits the island.

Scc is located (as Ron said) just south of town and is a very short walk to most of the grocery stores etc... Scc has it's own in house dive op and has many boats to dive from... (Reef Cat was my favorite) They don't stop at a beach for the surface interval however... You usually just chill on the boat as you are headed for the next dive. Roughly 45-50 minute SI. Then down you go again. Usually get back to the resort by 12:30ish (it's been a few years, so hard to remember exactly). Then of course you have unlimited shore diving right infront of the resort.... :)

On the larger boats you usually have group of 8 divers per DM. I was concerned about getting "Buddied up" or placed in a group that was loaded with Newbie divers that didn't have a clue as to what they were doing or even paying attention.

I'm not the greatest diver in the world, just and average one... (Maybe a Newbie to some) I found that very few newbie divers go to SCC, and the ones that do are usually on their own boat... SCC puts similarly skilled divers together... from newbie to the old pro!! (no offense... Jlyle, RobinT)

Groups of 8 work pretty well too. I only saw other divers (not on my boat or group) on the shallower reefs. Other than that it felt like we had the entire reef to ourselves.

I've done both. SCC has large comfortable boats, but the downside is they carry a lot of divers and unless you're with a group, there will be some new divers on board and they have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Aldora use smaller boats, large 120 cu ft steel tanks and provide a long surface interval on Mr. Sancho's beach.

Also last visit to SCC I found problems with the rooms. They vary a lot in comfort and noise level. I had trouble with the AC blowing on the bed and a lack of table or desk where I could study and use my computer comfortably. I'm very sensitive to noise and there was lots from a resort next to it. The upside is the ease of doing shore dives there, which makes it easy to check out your gear. Also the rinse tanks and lockers are a plus. As was pointed out they're close to town that you can walk there, but longer boat rides to most dive sites.

It might be better to know what you want from a hotel and dive op then people can offer suggestions that may be a good fit for you.

Do note that it would be very easy to come up with a set of requirements that cannot be met on Cozumel. Here is an example:
"5 star resort on a long stretch of sandy beach (no rocks) within 10-15 minute walking time of downtown." It does not exist on Cozumel.

Aldora does have one larger boat (Falicity) but I do not often get to use it. Their normal boat typically holds six customer divers and have shade (another requirement for me).

Last edited:
I have simple hotel needs: a place to sleep, shower and use the internet. Noise levels or hard beds will not bother me, I just care about diving though exploring the town sounds fun too.

With both SCC and Aldora do you have to dive as a group with the divemaster and surface all together? Or can I continue my dive until I am ready to surface?

Aldora surfaces as a group after a long dive. I would be surprised if anyone lets you dive alone until you decide to come up.

I have simple hotel needs: a place to sleep, shower and use the internet. Noise levels or hard beds will not bother me, I just care about diving though exploring the town sounds fun too.

With both SCC and Aldora do you have to dive as a group with the divemaster and surface all together? Or can I continue my dive until I am ready to surface?
I can't speak to SCC's policy, but I believe with Aldora that the entire group all surfaces together. There are dive shops with similar amenities and similar sized tanks that don't require group ascent, so it's not all or nothing.

I can't speak to SCC's policy, but I believe with Aldora that the entire group all surfaces together. There are dive shops with similar amenities and similar sized tanks that don't require group ascent, so it's not all or nothing.

I will be diving with Aldora for the first time at the end of May. I did not know they all come up together. Not my preferred method. Not only due to different SAC rates for different divers but also because not all computers are created equal. I have a Suunto Cobra and it is pretty conservative, I would not want to cut another diver with a more liberal computer dives short.

Gaffer

I will be diving with Aldora for the first time at the end of May. I did not know they all come up together. Not my preferred method. Not only due to different SAC rates for different divers but also because not all computers are created equal. I have a Suunto Cobra and it is pretty conservative, I would not want to cut another diver with a more liberal computer dives short.
They let LOA divers share air with the DM to extend the dive.

Maybe you could share the DM's computer :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom