Aldora Divers port closure survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting back to the original intent of my post...It seems political intervention which negatively impacts livelihoods and commerce is a popular pastime in these unstable times.

Umm, yes. and with everything else that is masculine / feminine. Same as in french, arabic, urdu, hindi, italian, and probably some more but those are the only ones I know. Hell, even the word knife is sexualized and no-ones making a stink about that.

Why the hell are Americans simultaneously over-sensitive and assholes?

I am in my mid-sixties and and I have no idea how to even respond to this he/she/it/person status anymore w/o “offending” somebody. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. I really don’t want to offend anyone but generally it just doesn’t match how my generation (or at least me) thinks. Maybe it is similar to how my parents thought of us “hippies” but I just don’t know. I have kids that I consider “snowflakes”, love them to death but I just don’t get it. Sorry if this offends the liberal crowd here but all I can say is I’m trying but it just doesn’t fit with how I think.

The thread seems to have morphed into a discussion about politically-correct speech and gender...how did this happen:banghead:

Reactions: JFS
The thread seems to have morphed into a discussion about politically-correct speech and gender...how did this happen:banghead:

It's how real life conversations go, as well.

"That escalated quickly"
Ron Burgundy

As one of those who hijacked this thread, I apologize. However, I think it is healthy and eye-opening to have these kinds of random conversations about very poignant and topical subjects. An innocuous beginning can often lead to meaningful discourse.

No, I don't think protesting the port captain's house is going to do anything more than piss her off. I'd probably release the hounds if you were blocking my driveway. It's a good thing I don't have either.

The port captain has a lot of experience. She has been in her role in Cozumel for a few years now. The winds were strong south so the decision was to close the port. The ferry could not leave Playa Del Carmen. There were ferry cancellatioms due to weather last night. Lots of unhappy people there blockading the street.....life goes on.

requesting feedback about recent port closures negatively impacting their visit to Cozumel. If you were the unfortunate victim of these port closures,seemingly unrelated to weather, please respond.

Not an Aldora customer nor have I been the victim of not getting to dive due to a port closure, but will share my viewpoint. As opposed to those who travel to Coz for the specific reason of diving - and would respond differently (just guessing based on the many SB'ers who said they wouldn't go a few years ago when many dive sites were closed) I am more the "hobbyist" diver who would be happy to dive at least 3 days during a 1 week vacation and happy to do other things on non-diving days. Have had dives cancelled/postponed other places, but was spending 2 weeks so had plenty of days to get diving in. Fortunately, the islands I was on during those cancellations had plenty else to do and see. When I return to Coz later this year, it will be for 2 weeks and the first opportunity to dive since Nov. 2019 (YIKES!) I would be extremely disappointed if I didn't get a lot of diving in, but I can't say that port closures would impact my visit. Some diving is better than no diving!

I was whining about the port closure but in hindsight I do think it was the correct call. The pool was open today, really windy but not as bad as the last two days. It was rough on the surface, my dive op has a very sea worthy boat and we were really getting bounced around. We got as far south as Palancar but it was getting worse the further south you went. There are many smaller 6-pack boats that I think were borderline dangerous today. Have to admit the port authority is a thankless job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom