Aldora Divers port closure survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wind gusts to 24Kts is pretty high. This is what Windguru is saying today for CZM! Although the wind is out of the East?
This has been a problem in the past, where ports on the east coast of the Yucatan are (rightfully) closed for strong east wind and Cozumel closes as well even though the waters on the west side of the island are flat calm.

At age 68 hard to change my ways. In my prime years it was not sexist to assume - he. Now He or She is not politically correct either. So lets be correct and say "Person"
I read to many Cat in the Hat books, watcher to many Sea Hunt episodes and others

I don't think its about being politically correct, just not assuming that any person in a position of authority is a male. Yes, I totally get the fact that it is a generational thing because it is a stereotype and stereotypes are based on something.

Being politically correct, on the other hand, is stupid. I've said it before, "being politically correct is like trying to pick up a turd from the clean end." Be yourself but be apologetic when you're wrong. If someone's feelings get hurt by your honest, non-malignant, mistake then they can sit and spin.

I personally think it is awesome that we can no longer make broad generalization about any role, position, or social station either male, female, or whatever. I want my daughter to be able to be whatever she wants, whether or not she has a penis.

Does
Wind gusts to 24Kts is pretty high. This is what Windguru is saying today for CZM! Although the wind is out of the East?

Doesn't really look good in the near future. Hope it's open this weekend.

Part of the problem is public access to satellite based wind data that produces accurate predictions (windfinder, windy, windguru,,,). Predicting near shore sea states in Cozumel based off a relatively accurate near future (24-48 HR) wind prediction tool is not difficult.
When a revolving position, low level bureaucratic government functionary who typically is new to the island repeatedly bungles this basic job function and screws up the local economy and spoils visitors vacations, it tends to pi$$ people off.

I don't think its about being politically correct, just not assuming that any person in a position of authority is a male. Yes, I totally get the fact that it is a generational thing because it is a stereotype and stereotypes are based on something.

For me it's often just a matter of convenience. Easier to type "he" than "he/she" or "person". Do they deal with this nonsense in Spanish, having to refer to "señor/señora" or "niño/niña" everytime they want to generically use a pronoun?

Part of the problem is public access to satellite based wind data that produces accurate predictions (windfinder, windy, windguru,,,). Predicting near shore sea states in Cozumel based off a relatively accurate near future (24-48 HR) wind prediction tool is not difficult.
When a revolving position, low level bureaucratic government functionary who typically is new to the island repeatedly bungles this basic job function and screws up the local economy and spoils visitors vacations, it tends to pi$$ people off.

It's hard to believe there's not some unspoken purpose behind it as it is not a particularly difficult concept to grasp and should take an average person about 5 minutes to understand.

For me it's often just a matter of convenience. Easier to type "he" than "he/she" or "person". Do they deal with this nonsense in Spanish, having to refer to "señor/señora" or "niño/niña" everytime they want to generically use a pronoun?

Umm, yes. and with everything else that is masculine / feminine. Same as in french, arabic, urdu, hindi, italian, and probably some more but those are the only ones I know. Hell, even the word knife is sexualized and no-ones making a stink about that.

Why the hell are Americans simultaneously over-sensitive and assholes?

But going back to the thread...

Yes, port closures are frustratingly capricious, at times. Walk around in front of someone's house all you want. Probably not going to change anything. Now, if you were a cruise line and they shut down that long-ass dock..... different result. Money talks. pardon. Dinero habla.

Careful with that broad brush, Eugene. (Apologies to Pink Floyd)

Yeah, true. I was having a rant. My apologies.

Back
Top Bottom