Alcohol, lack of sleep and decompression illness.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a summer in Roatan doing a DM internship with a dive op known as a party scene, but I don't remember any dive-related injuries. Lots of just plain old self destructive behavior, and some bad dive behavior too, but that setting is pretty forgiving from a dive perspective. The issue the OP brings up is mostly about young people and substance abuse, not so much about dive practices IMO. I mean, these are kids on vacation without their parents, what more needs to be said, lol?

I've spent a fair amount of time on recreational dive boats where the age tends to be more adult, and I can't remember ever seeing anyone intoxicated. Poor dive skills and poor judgement are probably much bigger factors in DCS incidence than alcohol or other topside issues.

It sounds like lack of sleep and dehydration might be an issue. Too much sodium, too much caffeine, insomnia…the list of issues while traveling that can cause these issues is long. Why focusing on booze? Do pot causes these?

Too much sodium and/or sugar from the munchies is a possibility, but CBD more often helps with insomnia than not. But why stop there? Blood thinners increase the risk of IPE, statins strain your liver and can wreck your pancreas -- I'm sure that's relevant to diving too. YOUR GONE DIE!!!!

Too much sodium and/or sugar from the munchies is a possibility, but CBD more often helps with insomnia than not. But why stop there? Blood thinners increase the risk of IPE, statins strain your liver and can wreck your pancreas -- I'm sure that's relevant to diving too.
That was my point….

The evidence is from triathletes who deliberately overhydrate for long races. Between their definition of "overhydrate" and the level of exertion they go through, it's not clear that their data applies to us regular folks.

Also they tend to not die of IPE, only not finish it the top 3.
As a (mediocre) triathlete myself, I think the message is finally getting through that over hydration and hyponatremia is worse than a little dehydration. The winners of long endurance sports races tend to lose a few percent of their body weight from dehydration but this doesn't inhibit performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom