Alcohol, lack of sleep and decompression illness.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although it is good to be properly hydrated for a dive, there is actually no solid evidence that dehydration is as involved with DCS as many people seem to think it it. There is, in fact, a growing sense that the strong belief in the importance of hydration can lead to overhydration (water poisoning) and may be related to the rise in immersion pulmonary edema.
ive been looking to see if theres any studies on this- do you have any references? ie no solid evidance

ive been looking to see if theres any studies on this- do you have any references? ie no solid evidance

The evidence is from triathletes who deliberately overhydrate for long races. Between their definition of "overhydrate" and the level of exertion they go through, it's not clear that their data applies to us regular folks.

Also they tend to not die of IPE, only not finish it the top 3.

My information comes from several ScubaBoard discussions in the past. A lot of the information comes from BSAC. @Edward3c

I am trying to imagine the legal issues that could arise if a dive operator would look at people, decide they are not fit to dive based on that observation alone, kick them off the boat, and then charge them for the trip.

I would certainly not want to be the DM charged with making that
I meant to put tested and kicked off on one of those sentences but If they are still visibly wasted, I see no issue making a call without. I would say similar goes if they were obviously high on other things. They are wasting the OPs time by being there in that condition and potentially a danger to others.

I just see no point in testing all as was suggested. You deal with the problematic people instead of treating all as a possible problem.

I just see no point in testing all as was suggested. You deal with the problematic people instead of treating all as a possible problem.

:popcorn: Are fat sober white male people more or less "problematic" than not-white female people who had a glass of pino noir with their lunch? More importantly for a dive op, how long till their op gets cancelled for whatever criterion-ism they use to deem people "problematic".

:popcorn: Are fat sober white male people more or less "problematic" than not-white female people who had a glass of pino noir with their lunch? More importantly for a dive op, how long till their op gets cancelled for whatever criterion-ism they use to deem people "problematic".
Perhaps you missed the post that I responded to? He was referring to people that would be above the legal limit.

I would prefer a boat that I am on to kick an obvious drunk person off. Though I also can't imagine using a DM that smells of alcohol as described and pukes on the way out, but apparently it happens.
One way for an op to make sure no one dives extremely hung over is to breathalize everyone as they board. You know darn well that they would still be way above the legal limit in the morning.

I meant to put tested and kicked off on one of those sentences but If they are still visibly wasted, I see no issue making a call without. I would say similar goes if they were obviously high on other things. They are wasting the OPs time by being there in that condition and potentially a danger to others.

I have dived in loads of places on loads of boats all over the world over the past quarter century. I do not recall ever seeing any diver I thought was "wasted." I don't recall seeing anyone who was visibly not in a condition to dive. But you think dive boats should test all customers just in case. What do you think that would cost? The operators I see are generally desperate to gain customers, not get rid of them.

When I led a dive trip to Belize a decade or so ago, I did hear a story about a drunken diver. The man who told me about it was ending his dive week, and he was from our town and had originally been signed up to be in our group, so he knew us. He told us that on one long trip where they had to be there early, they had a problem in that there was no crew to be found. It turned out the night before had been some kind of holiday, and all the employees had been out drinking all night. They finally found a skipper and DM. The DM slept all the way to the site and all the way back. They did not breathalize the customers.

Perhaps you missed the post that I responded to? He was referring to people that would be above the legal limit.

And here I though you said "visibly wasted" and "obviously high". Must be my leet reading comprehension skillz. :flush:

I have dived in loads of places on loads of boats all over the world over the past quarter century. I do not recall ever seeing any diver I thought was "wasted." I don't recall seeing anyone who was visibly not in a condition to dive.
I haven't seen anyone while diving in that state either.
But you think dive boats should test all customers just in case.
No, I said I didn't agree with that, Eric suggested it.
What do you think that would cost?
Probably not much but still wouldn't want it to be done.
The operators I see are generally desperate to gain customers, not get rid of them.
Generally that would be the plan. But as it relates to someone above the legal limit, if they want that customer for the day I would hop on another boat

And here I though you said "visibly wasted" and "obviously high".
I did, in direct relation to what Eric had posted as per my original response which started this chain.

As I said it should be apparent if someone was above the legal limit, or obviously high. I would rather deal with the problematic few as it happens.

Must be my leet reading comprehension skillz. :flush:
:flush:

I should have said “ breathalize those that appear or smell to still be intoxicated from too much alcohol the night before”. Or maybe if they’re overheard bragging about getting wasted the night before and it raises some concerns. Rather than just kick someone off the boat or bench them for the trip, maybe a breath test might be more fair? Physical proof they are still too impaired to dive safely. Alcohol exacerbates narcosis.
I was on a multi day liveaboard on the Peace once and a guy had one small glass of wine with his dinner. The captain would not let him do the night dive after dinner, no matter how much arguing the answer was absolutely not! This went on for 15 minutes with the guy almost getting belligerent. It was awkward. They have a standing policy of no alcohol and diving period. You can have a beer but your diving is over for that day. I would also guess that if a group of divers decided to crack open a big bottle of Jack Daniels and get trashed one night, the captain could also make a judment call the next day if he want’s to let them go in the water.
So I have to ask what’s the difference, location only?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom