Alcohol, lack of sleep and decompression illness.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should have said “ breathalize those that appear or smell to still be intoxicated from too much alcohol the night before”. Or maybe if they’re overheard bragging about getting wasted the night before and it raises some concerns. Rather than just kick someone off the boat or bench them for the trip, maybe a breath test might be more fair? Physical proof they are still too impaired to dive safely. Alcohol exacerbates narcosis.
I was on a multi day liveaboard on the Peace once and a guy had one small glass of wine with his dinner. The captain would not let him do the night dive after dinner, no matter how much arguing the answer was absolutely not! This went on for 15 minutes with the guy almost getting belligerent. It was awkward. They have a standing policy of no alcohol and diving period. You can have a beer but your diving is over for that day. I would also guess that if a group of divers decided to crack open a big bottle of Jack Daniels and get trashed one night, the captain could also make a judment call the next day if he want’s to let them go in the water.
So I have to ask what’s the difference, location only?
On a live aboard they already have your money.

So I have to ask what’s the difference, location only?

Yes: those of us not afraid of a glass of wine don't dive North of the border.

Yes: those of us not afraid of a glass of wine don't dive North of the border.
I meant the location of where the alcohol was consumed, in the bar or on the boat. The point is the alcohol WAS consumed. So if the same amount of alcohol is consumed in the bar it’s OK? but if it was in the galley of the boat it’s not OK?

Fortunately i primarily only dive with people i know and they would sit out if they were under the weather the next day. - we take our diving seriously and we wouldnt let one of our buddies dive if we thought it unsafe - same as if he was driving a vehicle

If I was in a situation that forced me to dive with someone I didnt know and i thought they were still half cut or had been smoking dope the night before i wont dive with them. Another good reason for solo cert

It sounds like lack of sleep and dehydration might be an issue. Too much sodium, too much caffeine, insomnia…the list of issues while traveling that can cause these issues is long. Why focusing on booze? Do pot causes these?

If you are excited for the first night of a trip and have a hard time getting to sleep is the good diver thing to do is skip a day until you get enough sleep? Traveling across the globe numerous time zones, wait until you adjust to dive? Where is the line?

If you are excited for the first night of a trip and have a hard time getting to sleep is the good diver thing to do is skip a day until you get enough sleep? Traveling across the globe numerous time zones, wait until you adjust to dive? Where is the line?
first dive is usually a shake down dive regardless - its up to the individual to make that assessment only you can know if you're up to it -usually wont be a demanding dive up first

first dive is usually a shake down dive regardless - its up to the individual to make that assessment only you can know if you're up to it -usually wont be a demanding dive up first
And if you eat food that has more salt than you typically eat?

It sounds like lack of sleep and dehydration might be an issue. Too much sodium, too much caffeine, insomnia…the list of issues while traveling that can cause these issues is long. Why focusing on booze? Do pot causes these?
i think you worry too much

Back
Top Bottom