Alberta Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG once bubbled...

Ha....Cat said the same thing. "I dive in my wet suit and I don't get cold.....blah...blah...blah"

She froze at Twin :) (water temps low 40's F)

Summer...Hot? not really, we don't get the humidity so when its 28C its great.

I try to get out to BC at least twice a year. I'm going to God's Pocket next May and I will be looking at another trip later in summer.

Later
Jeff
(Off to my XMas Party :)

Oh no... I'm screwed then, I heard this cat chick is the wet suit queen.

cat..you've been out to the Niagara wet haven't you? How do you compare it to Twin?

The cold thing has worn thin...don't get me wrong...I'm just saying if I don't get one I won't be skipping the summer, that's all.
we'll see...

I'd like to get out to BC a couple of times if I can. I'll be there over a few long weekends.

Have fun at yer party!

I did not *freeze* at Twin. I did get unexpectedly cold (off day or perhaps wetsuited me needed to move faster than drysuited Jeff - I was fine at Minnewanka the previous weekend, nyahh! ) and bored and decided after that dive that I was willing to do dives that were either cold or boring but not both :p

I have not been out to the Niagara at all but I did manage to dive in Lake Superior from slush time through summer and into the early fall and that was 39F water or less all the time (below a very shallow thermocline). (I snuck down to Kingston for the warmer stuff.) C'est doable - your mileage may vary. There are buses that can get you out of Vermilion and into Edmonchuck (where the dive stores are) - there's a college in Vermilion and the students tend to go home on weekends. What the heck are you *doing* in Vermilion, (one L and not to be confused with Fort V which is way the heck up north) anyhow? Not diving, that's for sure - no shop that I remember and the lakes there are all very shallow with stinky, soupy mud. You may be screwed but not by the temperature :( If it was me, I'd save up time off and head for the coast or the mountain parks - diving in Jasper and Banff isn't up to the Great Lakes diving you're probably used to but the scenery for the SI's can't be beat.

hmm, this was supposed to be an edit

:doctor: Believe it not there is even diving in Cold Lake. Alot of divers from Edmonchuk and Calgery go to Vancouver to dive. Really not that expensive either

cat once bubbled...
I did not *freeze* at Twin. I did get unexpectedly cold (off day or perhaps wetsuited me needed to move faster than drysuited Jeff - I was fine at Minnewanka the previous weekend, nyahh! ) and bored and decided after that dive that I was willing to do dives that were either cold or boring but not both :p

I have not been out to the Niagara at all but I did manage to dive in Lake Superior from slush time through summer and into the early fall and that was 39F water or less all the time (below a very shallow thermocline). (I snuck down to Kingston for the warmer stuff.) C'est doable - your mileage may vary. There are buses that can get you out of Vermilion and into Edmonchuck (where the dive stores are) - there's a college in Vermilion and the students tend to go home on weekends. What the heck are you *doing* in Vermilion, (one L and not to be confused with Fort V which is way the heck up north) anyhow? Not diving, that's for sure - no shop that I remember and the lakes there are all very shallow with stinky, soupy mud. You may be screwed but not by the temperature :( If it was me, I'd save up time off and head for the coast or the mountain parks - diving in Jasper and Banff isn't up to the Great Lakes diving you're probably used to but the scenery for the SI's can't be beat.

A, well...I'll have to work on that drysuit then, darn it.

I'll be attending fire etc. in Vermilion(one L, thanks) and probably staying in that college's residence. So I'll be pretty tied up during the week. Good news about the bus! I'll get out some way or another. No stinky soupy mud for me thanks...unless I get real desparate :rolleyes:

I am from Calgary and like it was said, there isn't many area to dive in Alberta.

Please see this link for "almost" all Alberta diving. (Pine coulee is missing. new diver's playground but vis=bad)

http://members.shaw.ca/andrewfairservice/scuba.html

In regards to BC, I was in Sechelt, BC a month ago and it was great diving. The sechelt inlet is a great drift dive.

By the way, there is a great Diving Club in Cold Lake and they are very active. Water is around 55 f. summer time. I dove there last July.

If you need a dive buddy in Minne, Let me know. I will most likely be there most weekend.

Andre

Temperature-wise :) I just read through the thread again and realized that neither Jeff nor I mentioned the date of the Twin Lakes dive - Oct4. The air was not too cold that day but it had been in the weeks prior to my visit. Shallow lakes heat and cool fast. Then there's Minnewanka and the other mountain lakes. JeffG and the Calgary divers can probably tell you what is typical for those - I've only dived in Jasper lakes for my OW (39F in July down below, eeek) and once in Minnewanka in late September (chilly but gorgeous). They ARE glacier-fed, though, if not directly so. You shouldn't need a drysuit for summer dives in the shallow lakes. You may also luck out and be able to cadge rides into the city or up to Cold Lake - a lot of the students at Lakeland College seemed to have cars while I was there.
Aquabella once bubbled...

A, well...I'll have to work on that drysuit then, darn it.

I'll be attending fire etc. in Vermilion(one L, thanks) and probably staying in that college's residence. So I'll be pretty tied up during the week. Good news about the bus! I'll get out some way or another. No stinky soupy mud for me thanks...unless I get real desparate :rolleyes:

cat once bubbled...
Waaaaaaa...I was bored and cold......
Yea yea...and that fancy underwater message was you just doing the chicken dance RIGHT :)

I'm just bugging you (and you know it)

Now mind you..you were diving and you shouldn't of been bored SACRILEGDE...What kind of diver are U....Following Walters WWW diving (warm water weenie). At least he went to Chicago and made the best of it!!!!!

<snicker>

There is lots to see in Alberta, if you make the attempt.

"WWW" are his initials! :eek:
JeffG once bubbled...

Yea yea...and that fancy underwater message was you just doing the chicken dance RIGHT :)
Oh yes - the Twin Lakes underwater chicken statue! LOL Hmm, I warned you about my short attention span :rolleyes: Did you ever find Jesus in Hubbles?

I'm just bugging you (and you know it)
Well, duh! Heh - when we getting together for that beer? Pez is back in town Dec 24-27 so maybe another attempt at a diver's pub night on Whyte is due. We can do the usual Edmonton diver things; drink, grumble about the short open-water season, whine about the shortage of good shipwrecks in Alberta lakes (unless you'd like to go out and, err, make a few - I have a hand-powered drill somewhere...), grumble about how BC is wasted on those who live there, and, as an added bonus - envy Pez's recent diving in Mexico!

Now mind you..you were diving and you shouldn't of been bored SACRILEGDE...What kind of diver are U....Following Walters WWW diving (warm water weenie). At least he went to Chicago and made the best of it!!!!![/B]
I confess - I have been spoiled rotten by the Great Lakes this past summer in that I now like big, interestingly shaped chunks of wood or steel with my murky, 39F water and brown/green fish. As for your flagrant warm water weenie accusation, I think I have a shallow dive at 73F (hoodless) logged and a few at 70F on the surface and that's it for me and warm water until NYE - bring your logs to beer and we'll see who the real weenie is, Mr. Roatan who now dives DRY in the cooler stuff :bonk:

There is lots to see in Alberta, if you make the attempt. [/B]
True - but the closest decent diving (and dive shop) to Vermilion is probably Cold Lake (never dove the lake - something for this summer, maybe?). The lakes around the college, alas, make Hubbles look good in terms of mud. I know I am going to miss the big puddle... I would be all over a trip to Sechelt Inlet as described by andrel :)

cat once bubbled...
"WWW" are his initials! :eek:
But the "Other" version makes for a better story.

cat once bubbled...

Oh yes - the Twin Lakes underwater chicken statue! LOL Hmm, I warned you about my short attention span :rolleyes: Did you ever find Jesus in Hubbles?
Nope....Even Alberta Divers have to have some kind of standards.

cat once bubbled...

Well, duh! Heh - when we getting together for that beer? Pez is back in town Dec 24-27 so maybe another attempt at a diver's pub night on Whyte is due. We can do the usual Edmonton diver things; drink, grumble about the short open-water season, whine about the shortage of good shipwrecks in Alberta lakes (unless you'd like to go out and, err, make a few - I have a hand-powered drill somewhere...), grumble about how BC is wasted on those who live there, and, as an added bonus - envy Pez's recent diving in Mexico!
Anytime (except the 24) you got the number.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom