Alaska Diver Heading South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool170b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Florida!!

I am a diver from Alaska. I will be at my folks for Thanksgiving and I am going to drive down to the Keys. I plan on starting Nov 27 in Panama City and working my way down to the Keys. I have to be back in Atlanta on Dec 10. I am looking for dive buddies or any advice from the locals on dive sites, operators or can't miss it dives. I have all my own gear less tanks and weights. I wouldn't mind a little spear fishing or bug hunting. I get into Alabama on Nov 21 and could be in Panama City for a dive before the Big Trip.

Dennis

Well, if you are starting in Panama City you should dive the largest artificial reef in FL, the Oriskany. It is an aircraft carrier about 25 miles offshore. I used Scuba Shak in Penscola and they were awesome.
If you want to bug hunt you would do MUCH better to go to the other coast. The gulf side is shallow, colder and not great for the bugs. Spearing over here (Tampa area) is much better!
Down in the Keys, you should dive the Vandenburg. The second largest artificaial reef. It is a sat. tracking ship 12 miles off Key West. I used Lost Reef Adventures for the dive charter.
In Marathon area you should dive the Spiegal Grove. This is the third largest artificial reef and I used FL Keys Dive Center for a charter. This boat was an amphibious vehicle launcher.

Me; I'd skip the Oriskany. Too longof a ride out and you really don't get to dive much of it. Research it though and see what you think. On the upper right is a search funtion and you can get others opinions.

This is definitely the place for spearing. If you decide you want to make a stop here, let us know ahead of time and we'll try to put something together for diving then perhaps a bite to eat with some of the locals.

After Tampa, you have Venice where you can collect shark's teeth. Water is about 17-20' deep. You can have a look here for pics of some of the finds people get out there: Venice Fossil Divers - ScubaBoard

Next you have, Boynton Beach and Ft LauderDale (here is your chance to bug). If you stop in Boynton I'd head out with LoggerHead or UnderWater Explorers links for them: Loggerhead Dive Charters of Boynton Beach, FL and https://securec7.ezhostingserver.com/diveboyntonbeach-com/indexs.cfm again, if you let people know ahead of time of your schedule, you'll get others SB'ers to join you :) Here is a link of some pics taken in Boynton: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...379-boynton-dive-chronicles-new-improved.html

In the Key Largo Area; You must do the Spiegal Grove. There is also The Eagle and The Duane and several nice reefs. If you have never been to Key West then I would say go ahead and do the drive (a bit long and boring IMO) and dive The Vandenburg. Afterward, you have stay the evening, check out the different night life, and pass by Mallory Square.

And adeeba deeba that is all I got :)

Thanks for the info. I will make sure to update my travel plans and try to hook up with as many other divers as possible. Venice Beach and Spiegal Grove are at the top of the list. They look to be very interesting.

If you are going to dive Venice Beach you should try the charter AristoKat. A friend uses them and frequently comes back with the good stuff!
Shore diving there is cheap, and good fossils can be found but the charter is far better. Vis at this location can be 0-10'. It is rare to be over 10'!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom