Alabama Blue Water Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks brockbr. I never knew it flooded that quickly.

I understand mmwal's viewpoint. most of us would rather dive in the ocean. Definately nicer on most of the wrecks. However the luring part about diving bluewater is that either a.) it's close. or b.) it's something different.

diving something different helps broaden your diving skills.

a lot of quarry diving is also in the fun of meeting friends there and the surface interval fun. It's just what you make of it.

Other quarries in the area to consider are

Madison Quarry, located in Madison Alabama. It's much shallower, but has a whole different set of objects sunk in it. just different and new is all.

Marthas Quarry, located outside Nashville. It flooded quickly also and all the conveyor belts and rock crusher buildings are still in the quarry and can swim through them.

thanks brockbr. I never knew it flooded that quickly.

I understand mmwal's viewpoint. most of us would rather dive in the ocean. Definately nicer on most of the wrecks. However the luring part about diving bluewater is that either a.) it's close. or b.) it's something different.

diving something different helps broaden your diving skills.

a lot of quarry diving is also in the fun of meeting friends there and the surface interval fun. It's just what you make of it.

Other quarries in the area to consider are

Madison Quarry, located in Madison Alabama. It's much shallower, but has a whole different set of objects sunk in it. just different and new is all.

Marthas Quarry, located outside Nashville. It flooded quickly also and all the conveyor belts and rock crusher buildings are still in the quarry and can swim through them.

Another interesting part about Bluewater is the underwater topography. The quarry has roads down through it that create 4 distinct areas. 1 is 85-90' deep, one is 140+ feet, one is 130', and one is 100'. Most people hang out on the edges and never explore the walls (which are shear drops by the way). There are many interesting sights to see.

b.

So....sitting on my living room floor is a SS UV18/26 conversion that's just begging to be in the water.

Anyone interested in scootering at ABWA next weekend? (I was thinking Sunday would be awesome)

Woot! I finally got ahold of a scooter for the summer :D (now to just keep it out of the caves until I build up some more experience :wink: )

Brock, you really have me wanting to make a trip to Blue Water sometime. Looks like it would be about a 5 hour drive from Fort Walton Beach. I might have to round a few people up for a trip up there sometime.

without stopping any, it's actually a little closer. I'd say about 4 to 4-1/2 hours of driving time.

It's about 30 minutes south of B'ham, right off the interstate.

Thanks Mike, that's not bad at all. I have never dove in a quarry and I would like to try it sometime. I would like to try it with a dry suit though.

without stopping any, it's actually a little closer. I'd say about 4 to 4-1/2 hours of driving time.

It's about 30 minutes south of B'ham, right off the interstate.

Brock, you really have me wanting to make a trip to Blue Water sometime. Looks like it would be about a 5 hour drive from Fort Walton Beach. I might have to round a few people up for a trip up there sometime.

One fine point Brock didn't mention is the presence of a nice wings and beer establishment about a mile down the road. I'm at BlueWater most weekends too. I'm always happy to be an insta buddy or show new people the underwater sights.

There's also many of TDI's finest technical instructors teaching at BlueWater.

Thanks Mike, that's not bad at all. I have never dove in a quarry and I would like to try it sometime. I would like to try it with a dry suit though.

Yeah Glen I am 3 hrs from FT. Walton and hour and 20 minutes from Blue water. Let me know when you head this way. Might be a good summer dive for ya.

So....sitting on my living room floor is a SS UV18/26 conversion that's just begging to be in the water.

Anyone interested in scootering at ABWA next weekend? (I was thinking Sunday would be awesome)

Woot! I finally got ahold of a scooter for the summer :D (now to just keep it out of the caves until I build up some more experience :wink: )

They're not open again till the 9th. If my scooter will keep up with yours I'll join you.

They're not open again till the 9th. If my scooter will keep up with yours I'll join you.

Sounds like a scooter rally is gearing up. I'll put the Cuda battery on to charge!!

Back
Top Bottom