al80's: rough coated finish or smooth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys im ready to get my luxfer al 80 tanks for my twins. there are two types one that is smooth through out and one that is sort of rough thorugh out. almost like the texture of sand paper. i like the rough one and it looks bad *** im just wondering if there are any tips or comments youd like to make. all of my dives are salt water. this my first tank pucrhase thanks!

StSomewhere:
I'd go with the shot blast, just because I don't trust the combination of paint and wet metal surfaces. That comes more from general life experience than any specific scuba experience.

you reffering to the rough one? im leaving the tanks bare. ive heard mixed reviews about the rough ones. people say that they are more prone to salt accumulation than the smoother ones. they are much nicer looking.

Yes, shot blast is the rough texture. I've never heard about problems with a shot blast finish and salt accumulation, at least it wouldn't hide corrosion.

The smooth texture probably has some sort of clear coat (read: painted) finish, that will eventually get scratched or chipped and start to corrode underneath.

Whatever you get, for saltwater the first thing I'd lose is the tank boot.

YMMV.

StSomewhere:
Whatever you get, for saltwater the first thing I'd lose is the tank boot.

YMMV.

im actually sold on the rough ones but i got apprehensive when i heard about the salt accumulation problems. also would stickers stick to the rough surface?

btw i actually wanted those boots but my friend told me to forget about it:)

The smooth ones will soon cease to be smooth and will look rough in a bad way. The shot blast seems to age more gracefully. As for corrosion, a propper rinse should keep that at bay.

Pete

spectrum:
The smooth ones will soon cease to be smooth and will look rough in a bad way. The shot blast seems to age more gracefully. As for corrosion, a propper rinse should keep that at bay.

Pete

thanks bro. will i have to remove tank bands once in awhile to remove salt deposits? or is that unnecessary? cant wait to get my tanks.

Get them shot-blasted if you like. Don't bother with any stickers though unless you're going to remove them annually for the VIP. Salt water will get under them.
I've had lots of aluminum tanks that I stripped the finish off and just let weather naturally, and a a few years ago, I got two shot-blasted tanks. New they look most cool, but after a while, they get streaks and marks on them from wear.
I wouldn't spend anything extra to get them with the shot-blast finish.
Some people put a thin strip of rubber under their bands when they twin them but that's a surefire corrosion trap. Every year, when I still had twin aluminums, I'd take them apart for the visual and just scrape off the accumulated salt under the bands. The first year you do this on a shot-blasted tank will have it looking a little funky.
If you get unpainted tanks, make sure they're uncoated - the coating is a nuisance and will eventually have to be removed anyway.

I wouldn't spend anything extra to get them with the shot-blast finish.

so if they were the same price youd get what? blasted or smooth? which age more graceful? i plan to have these tanks for a very very long time

The first year you do this on a shot-blasted tank will have it looking a little funky
in what way? i really am a tank newbie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom