Al80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi all, i am looking at an Al80 man. date 1992 needs hydro and viz still holding air hasn't been used in 4 yrs. should i buy it or not? they want $50 for it, tells me it was used 5-6 times just lost interest in diving in cold water. any opinions would be apreciated.

hi all, i am looking at an Al80 man. date 1992 needs hydro and viz still holding air hasn't been used in 4 yrs. should i buy it or not? they want $50 for it, tells me it was used 5-6 times just lost interest in diving in cold water. any opinions would be apreciated.

Seems like a reasonable deal, figure $35 for a hydro/VIP and you should be in business.

The manufacturer date of 1992 means it's not one of the older 6351 Alloy tanks that you have to be worried about.... so this tank is still 'ok'.

like deepstops pointed out, about $35 for a visual ($10 on average) and hydro ($25 on avg), plus the cost of an airfill ($5-$6 typical) after hydro. (adding that because most every new tank purchased at most LDS's, they will throw in a fill.)

so your total cost will be about $90 bucks. ($50 tank, $35hydro/vis, $5 fill)

compared to a new tank which right now for AL80's seems to be running about $149 (or more).

ok thanks for the info, a new tank up here in canada is like $220 at any dive shops around here. just checked out the tank and it was manufactured in 1987 so i won't be buying it, but thanks to the posters for your info

Last edited:
$220? unless they include X amount of free refills, that's kinda a ripoff.

you can pick an AL 80 up new for $149 at most of the retail online shops and most will give you 10% off even.

As long as it passes hydro, I'd do it. Tell them up front that if it fails hydro, you want your money back. (at least that's what I'd do)

Tom

mike s, that is $220 with just the first fill, i have looked at the ones online, but the shipping kinda kills the $149 deal, been quoted between $30 and $50 for shipping then i'd have to add on the duty and any customs fees to get them to me in canada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom