AL40 for redundancy diving single tank on deeper dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't matter if it was an anchor, a fist or a fin. Training can only take you so far.
Well, let me add another anecdote showing that training can take you far enough. My son had his reg knocked out of his mouth by his buddy's fin. One of the things that can happen when you dive in poor viz and keep close buddy contact. There was no panic, and he found the reg on the second attempt at reg recovery as per the procedure PADI teaches in OWD, put the reg in, cleared it and that was that.

His gas consumption was definitely on the high side during the rest of the dive, though... :D

Any do's or donts? when getting tanks or rigging the bottles.

Do's and Dont's:

1. Use an AL40 cylinder. If you're going to carry a Stage/Pony/Deco (SPD) bottle, the AL40 will serve you well. You'll grow with it. Don't use anything less than a 40.

2. Use a BPW if you're going to carry a SPD. Clip it on the right way. Left shoulder and left waist D-rings. Don't use a jacket.

3. Rig it the same way it's done for Tec diving. Proper rigging ensures easy don/doff, SPG monitoring and stowing of the second stage. There are kits available. I use a Halcyon kit. Don't clamp it on to your rig.

4. Carry the SPD bottle on your left side. Don't carry it on the right side.

5. A non-turret first stage is good -- low cost, light weight, easy to maintain. But use a 42" hose. I find the 40" hose too short. If you use a turret style first stage such as the Apeks DST on the cylinder, a 40" hose works fine. I use an Apeks US4 or DS4 first stage for my deco AL40. A 6" Miflex HP hose for the SPG. Don't try to use recreational hose lengths for your second stage and SPG.

6. Get trained on doing proper gas switches between your back gas and slung SPD cylinder. This is particularly important if you're going to use different gas mixes eg Air for Backgas and Nitrox 36 on the deco cylinder. I include gas switch training in my Deep Diver Specialty course for non my Tec divers. My students get to learn how to extend their dive time using mixed gas while staying within NDL limits through the dive. Until you're Tec trained, stay within NDL.

7. Use a Mixed Gas Computer and get trained on how to use your SPD with mixed gas. The mixed gas computer should be a Buhlmann ZHL16c with user configurable GF. Don't get one with a proprietary algorithm. The PZ+ and its cousins is proprietary even if their marketing says it's Buhlmann based. You don't know what kind of GF modifications they've done to it.

What's wrong with a short rubber HP hose Macan? The thin HP hoses feel like they might get tweaked or shocked when you bend them tight and pressurize them to me. It's probably just in my head though...maybe I'm a little "old school" when it comes to HP hoses. I do have a longer one on my main reg and I haven't had any problems with it. I suppose that I just like rubber hoses on my stage regs for some reason.

What's wrong with a short rubber HP hose Macan? The thin HP hoses feel like they might get tweaked or shocked when you bend them tight and pressurize them to me. It's probably just in my head though...maybe I'm a little "old school" when it comes to HP hoses. I do have a longer one on my main reg and I haven't had any problems with it. I suppose that I just like rubber hoses on my stage regs for some reason.

6" HP rubber hose for your stage SPG will work fine as well. I use rubber for all other hoses but I found the 6" Miflex HP hose for Stage cylinder SPG to be better than rubber. Nice easy bend without strain while pressurized.

2. Use a BPW if you're going to carry a SPD. Clip it on the right way. Left shoulder and left waist D-rings. Don't use a jacket.

Using a jacket is just fine if the jacket has good waist and shoulder d-rings and a method to rig a good bungee to bring the tank valve in tight under the armpit. This won't work with all jackets (e.g. travel BC) but a number will do fine with this rigging.

OK, I'll bite: why not clip the AL40 to your right side? That's where I had it when carrying two stage bottles. Should I have carried both on the left side?

After using both a button gauge and a 6" rubber hose with a gauge, I like the compactness of the button, but found it easier to read the gauge on a short hose. Probably just my lousy eyesight.

Yes you can sling it on the right side. It's just a lot more convenient and easier on the left side if you use a long hose or scooter or can light. Personal preference.

Yes you can sling it on the right side. It's just a lot more convenient and easier on the left side if you use a long hose or scooter or can light. Personal preference.
Thanks for the explanation. I don't use a long hose or can light, but I can see why those would make the left side more convenient.

Your best back up air source is your buddy. But your buddy needs to be competent and willing to help in OOA situations. Any pony will create drag in the water so its all about risk management.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom