akumal vs plya del carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barrmust

Contributor
Reaction score
i will be in that area in 3 weeks or so. i am staying between both of these areas. im wondering what area has better diving between the two.

Russ

From Puerto Aventuras south is better than north of Puerto. In either case you gotta do the cenotes. Diablo Divers/Aquanauts in Puerto is great dive op. Just got back last week from week with them and they run a great op. Dennis Weeks is the contact. http://www.diablodivers.com/

And, if they're still in the area, make sure you do a whale shark snorkeling expedition. We enjoyed diving in Puerto Aventuras, and dove with ProDive www.prodivemex.com. There are a few dive ops in PA that get good feedback, including Dive Aventuras and Aquanauts. Several nice sites to dive around PA, a very short boat ride from the marina. There are also great fishing charters out of PA.

In Playa Del Carmen we've used Tank Ha www.tankha.com. There are two great scuba sites: Tortugas Reef and Barracuda Reef. You will lose count of all the turtles at Tortugas, lots of large, old females. The turtles, not the divers. :D

I dove Tortugas last month and counted 51 turtles on one 65 minute dive.
Tortugas is basically right out in front of Xcaret which is just south of PDC.

Generally speaking, I like the diving near Akumal better. Water is clearer and there is more life, less impact from the masses of divers.

North of PDC is good too. Puerto Morelos has some very nice diving.

I agree that the diving that makes that area famous is the cenotes. Dos Ojos and Taj Mahal are my favorites.

Divedoggie:
I dove Tortugas last month and counted 51 turtles on one 65 minute dive.
Tortugas is basically right out in front of Xcaret which is just south of PDC.

Generally speaking, I like the diving near Akumal better. Water is clearer and there is more life, less impact from the masses of divers.

North of PDC is good too. Puerto Morelos has some very nice diving.

I agree that the diving that makes that area famous is the cenotes. Dos Ojos and Taj Mahal are my favorites.

I dove with the Akumal dive shop right there in turtle bay. Nice outfit, but didn't see much (one small turtle). Ironic that people dive tortuga in PDC and see HUGE amounts of turtles, and I dive "turtle central" (Akumal) and only see one. Oh well... :14:

I dove Dos Ojos two weeks ago - probably my coolest dives yet (out of all 12!) I enjoyed my second dive - winding my way through the cavern to the "bat cave." It was a slow day so I had a dive guide all to myself and the park was almost empty. We were diving by ourselves most of the time.

Can you suggest another good cenote dive? I'm back in PDC in about three weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom