Akumal trip... guide or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading down to Akumal in a month with my LDS. This will be my first trip down there. I've got 7 cave dives since I got my full cave card. I was thinking just let the people who've been there a couple of times set the reel (I've heard that you can spend an entire dive just looking for the line) and then me an my equally inexperienced buddy do our dive without the guide as I've heard of their propensity to do visual jumps and not mark tees. Sure, we might miss some of the more interesting formations but I'm thinking it reduces the risk of slipping into follow-the-leader mode.

Comments?

loosebits:
I'm heading down to Akumal in a month with my LDS. This will be my first trip down there. I've got 7 cave dives since I got my full cave card. I was thinking just let the people who've been there a couple of times set the reel (I've heard that you can spend an entire dive just looking for the line) and then me an my equally inexperienced buddy do our dive without the guide as I've heard of their propensity to do visual jumps and not mark tees. Sure, we might miss some of the more interesting formations but I'm thinking it reduces the risk of slipping into follow-the-leader mode.

Comments?

You might find some of the guides may not feel comfortable with this due to your experience level and having not been in Mexican caves before. I have extensive experience in Florida caves,but find I am a little out of my element in Mexico since their navigation markers can be a little different,and have been very happy with the job the guide has done. If you don't like doing a trust me dive with visual gaps,tell them,you've paid for the service tell them what you want. I remember on one trip the guide had this dive planned that involved 4 visual gaps,I asked him to change the plan since I was unfamilar with this system and didn't feel comfortable with the dive plan,he gladly did what I asked. Have fun on your trip.

karstdvr:
If you don't like doing a trust me dive with visual gaps,tell them,you've paid for the service tell them what you want. I remember on one trip the guide had this dive planned that involved 4 visual gaps,I asked him to change the plan since I was unfamilar with this system and didn't feel comfortable with the dive plan,he gladly did what I asked. Have fun on your trip.

I have to agree with Kelly. Navigation in the Mexico caves can be complex and frequently may involve multiple jumps. We always use a guide when going to new systems. It makes finding the lines and out-of-the-way jumps much easier. Once we've been to a site a few times (or someone in our group has been there several times), we may go without the guide.

I've never had a guide even suggest a visual jump, and typically they will certainly let you run the primary and and jump reels if you like, which helps me remember where the lines are when I come back to a site later. Although, I've run the LONG primary line into Carwash 4 times now, and I still have trouble finding the main line! :D

Thanks for the advice... a guide it is.

loosebits:
Thanks for the advice... a guide it is.

Have fun on your trip,and if you can,and don't mind lugging gear on the ferry,add a Cozumel cave dive as a contrast. It is amazing the number of cave divers living in Akumal that have never seen the Cozumel caves.

What are Cozumel's caves like compared to Akumal and Florida?

Cozumel caves have different formations,because at one time I understand Cozumel used to be part of Honduras. You'll see marine creatures in the cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom