Akumal, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAKristey

Reaction score
OK ya'll, are there any MUST do dives in and around the Akumal area? I will not do Cenotes yet, as I have had my c-card for a week not, and we're going in August. I'd like to live and be coherent enough to enjoy many, many other dives in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Kristey

on this board.....

He has been down there many times and can recommend some good places.

He'll also be at the TSDT dinner if you are able to make it...

of style for a diver, make a trip over to Xel-ha, (pronounced chel-ha) and do the river and basin. We don a shorty and actually take that snorkel out of the duffle! Tons of fish, rays, turtles and the river comes out of the mango trees and is fresh, big halocline where it meets the salt water in the basin. You can also snorkel the Hidden Worlds cenotes; Dos Ojos, Bat cave and Hiroios well.....AWESOME
I recommend getting a map from Laura and her hubby, good info on all sites from playa to tulum. I'll find the link and send it over to ya.

tony

ps. found it... cancunmap.com get the riviera maya map

Was diving and snorkeling there this January. I loved the diving there because the reef was just off the beach. To me...all the reefs there are wonderful, so nothing REALLY stood out as a MUST dive.
A must see is the lagoon at the far end of Akumel. Can't beat it for snorkeling. (Take snacks and drinks with you.) The cost is $5 usd for an all day wrist ban. My fiancee and I enjoyed it better than Xel-Ha. We went to Xel-ha last year and thought the world of it but were not to happy this year.....the weather had everything stirred up. As far as the area dive shops go... After talking to the employees and or owners of each shop...we chose to Go with Bahia Divers that have a shop on the beach at a local hotel. I can not praise the staff enough.:medal:

I will be willing to forward any info about the area to you...

We were planning on snorkeling Xel-Ha. It sounds too good to miss- and I don't mind actually getting to use my snorkel again. (And now that I know how to skin dive a little- that'll be nice!)

The guy we rented our house from sent us that map of the Maya that you were talking about. It is GREAT! (One of the best maps I have EVER seen. VERY detailed about what's around.) I CANNOT WAIT TO GO! We're now finally under a month until we leave to fly to Cancun. (And I have to say- I AM GETTING SICK OF MY LAKE ALREADY!!!!! I can just imagine what diving in the open deep blue ocean will be like.)

Thanks for the info!

Kristey:D

Heading there on July 24th for one week. Plan on 3-4 dives plus some time at the lagoon. Looks like a nice place. I'm a beginner but if you like I'll gather any info you might like while I'm there.

to avoid the Cenotes for first trip anyways. My first two dives after doing my certification dives in a cold Colorado lake were into the Chac Mul cenotes near Playa del Carmen.

to avoid the Cenotes for first trip anyways. My first two dives after doing my certification dives in a cold Colorado lake were into the Chac Mul cenotes near Playa del Carmen.
While my dives went just fine and I actually enjoyed them, had I not been so ignorant at the time to the fact our guide not only took me as a brand new diver (yes, I made them aware of my lack of experience at least), but alos went beyond what is defined as cavern vs. cave diving I would have sat out the dive altogether.

I am a bit of a fish and it takes alot to spook me, so I enjoyed the dives with no problem, but consider myself lucky to have done so. I do suggest going cenote diving once you have some more experience and have found a Mexican dive operator you trust. Expect to get into VERY dark places, close quarters, and come to grips with the reality that the definition of cavern diving is often not strictly adhered to. While I think that cenote diving is a great experience, there is only one divemaster in Mexico I would cenote dive with without being cave trained.

Originally posted by Chef Rob
Heading there on July 24th for one week. Plan on 3-4 dives plus some time at the lagoon. Looks like a nice place. I'm a beginner but if you like I'll gather any info you might like while I'm there.

I'd love that! Or you can post a good trip report for me. Let me know who you're diving with and how they were. (Not too many choices down there.)

Thanks-

Kristey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom