Akumal Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PB125

Registered
Reaction score
I have a group going to Akumal in May. We are staying in a rented Villa (Casa Alux) for ten days near town. I'm looking for a good Dive Op near Akumal Bay. I've been to Coz a few times and have dived with Anita Divers (the best I've been with...they really go all out to please). This will be my first time in Akumal and need advice on a Dive Op and where the best diving is. Usually we stay at an All-inclusive resort and we're gonna "roughing-it" this time around so...
What's there to do in Akumal? Where's the best restaurants to eat at? We are going to be doing a lot of our own cooking and shopping for groceries, etc. I've been told we can rent a golf cart for travel to and from town. Any advice is appreciated!

Phil

May is my favorite time to dive in Akumal. Casa Alux is pretty centrally located in Akumal. There are 3 Dive Ops in Akumal. All are good. I have been diving with Akumal Dive Center on for 17+ years...so...you can tell they are my preferred Dive Op in the area.

There is much to do in Akumal itself. AT the end of the road your casa is on is Yul-Ku lagoon. Good for a morning snorkel. Get there early before the vans with tours get there. There is also very good snorkeling in Half Moon Bay (where you are staying) and excellent snorkeling in Akumal Bay (lots of turtles).

Restaurants: Many good ones. Turtle Bay, La Lunita, Lol-Ha and Lucy's (across from the Super Chomack store)

Akumal is a quaint 'village' still. I highly recommend you get a rental car as there is much to do within 30 minutes of driving. Check out the cenotes (Gran Cenote, Carwash etc) for diving or snorkeling for something different. Tulum and Coba ruins are so close. The golf cart will get you around within Akumal playa only. Good way to get to Akumal Bay from where you are staying.

Check this out: Akumal bay, Half Moon bay, Yal-ku lagoon: satellite picture

The above will show you where are are within Akumal. Your casa is on ironstone shoreline so - not much of a beach in front of your casa. But you are staying in the middle of the best of both worlds in Akumal.

What ever you do, make sure you stop by Lucy's for some of her shrimp taco's. They are to die for. Good smoothies too.

You really need a car if you are staying in Akumal (be careful driving on 307 at night). The cost of the rental with full insurance was just a bit more than the cost of transfers from Cancun over our four day stay. Make sure that if you rent, the driver is at least familiar with the local driving customs.

Shopping for groceries, you need to stop in Playa del Carmen on your way down. There is a Mega, Chedraui, and Super Wallmart in town, these are your best bets. All three are close to the highway (307). The Super Chomak in Akumal is good but pretty expensive (the attached restaurant is very good for lunch).

Since you will be there in May, you may want to do one of the turtle walks with the CEA, Centro Ecologico: Akumal, Mexico, Ocean Research, Environmental Education, Sea Turtle Protection, Marine Research . This is a group of local volunteers who work hard to protect the local turtles and deserve our support. If you have a bit of luck, you can see a turtle nesting. Worth the time since there is not much to do in Akumal at night.

Check out both Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation and Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info . They are both treasure troves of info on the area (especially the forum on playa.info). Also get the Riviera Maya map from Can-Do Maps and travel guides . It will have listing/links for most of the restaurants, dive shops, cenotes and hotels for the coast from Cancun to Tulum (except PDC, which has its own map).

Hope this helps, Akumal is one of our favorite places to stay, not for diving but, its a great place to get away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom