Akona Travel Roller Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too have seen the Akona bag and declined. Have a look at Mountain Equipment Rolling Odyssey bag. Huge, no advertising (black), with wheels and stow away back pack straps. I used this bag on my last trip and loved it,..built like a tank. Cost $85 US

MEC Bag

when my dad and i got our gear, bc's fins, masks, suits ect. we got a large rubbermaid tub. the problem, we were going to coz, and the tub was overweight and size limits it would cost like 200 to bring it with us. so we went on lp and got 2 bags, an akona rolling duffle http://www.akona.com/duffel_bags.html (top one) and another http://armorbags.com/wheeledbags.htm 1st one and when we got to coz. we got our bags, and my bag, the akona was just they way we had packed it, my dads was not so lucky (or well made) the plastic had a 6'' crack on the back side 1/2 way down, and he was missing several small items. his mask box had been smashed! it was good that he had not just chucked his mask in or it would have been broken.
he had to use epoxy and fiberglass to beef it up or that might happen again. I LOVE my akona!!!!

i like it

I really disliked my Akona full (non-roller) gear bag due to it's shoddy manufacture!

First, they use lightweight zippers that after a single season, lost both sliders and tore away from the bag itself.

Next, the constant sliding across non-skid surfaces of dive boats frayed the underside to a point where the interior contents could be seen

Third, the wrap around handles were only stiched vertically without horizontal backing. This resulted in the handles being pulled away from the bag when tugged on from under the bench on the boat.

All that being said, let me explain the circumstances. This was the second year of life for the bag, being used on about 150+ dives. However I do believe they could make a few improvements that would extend the life of the bag.

First, place reinforced rubber bottom on the bag in addition to little feet (pegs). This would dramatically reduce the wear and tear on the bottom.

Next, put a YKK number 10 zipper nylon zipper in, replacing the ultra lightweight zip that it is currently equipped with.

Finally, horizontally reinforce the handles by stiching a horizontal bar of material from one handle to the other. This would provide a lot more strength for pulls from under the bench seat.

I talked to the Akona representative at DEMA in Miami about these problems and he said that they had reinforced the bottom (they had) with peg feet and a thin rubber coating. A step in the right direction, but there is more work to do before I recommend them to my students.

Check out the Code Alpha bags. Great! Heavy reinforcement and a low price. Well worth it.

Also, their backpack makes an excellent camera bag - scope out the divided compartments! Makes it very easy to take equipment on and off a plane as a carry on.

Speaking of planes, I travel with a huge Armor Rolling bag. Put all my equipment inside to include my Code Alpha gear bag. When I get to the hotel room, I unpack the Armor Rolling bag and shove everything into the Code Alpha. I take the Code Alpha on the dive (as I do at home). Once done with diving, I wash and hang everything up to dry prior to the trip home.

The Armor Rolling bag has no exterior clues that indicate it's a dive bag - just another large rolling bag. The drawback is that it's really too large to bring on a boat. That's why I take my Code Alpha with me as well. Folds up nicely and is build like a brick outhouse. Akona (read posting above) can learn a lot from this upstart!

hi,

we have the 'big' akona roller (31x21x14).

i fit the following in it for checked baggage:

(2) pair fins, (2) sets booties, (3) masks, (2) snorkels, (2) BCD's(seaquest diva lx and balance), (2) 3mm or 5mm wetsuits - depends on trip, (2) pistol lights, (4) other small lights, (2) pair gloves, (2) sausages, (2) hoods, (1) vest, "spares and repairs" kit (medium sized, multi-compartment toiletries bag), extra ziplocks, batteries and garbage bags.

i fit it in as follows:

fins (one facing blade down and one facing blade up) into the side pockets, with small lights in each foot pocket, 1 pair booties on top of the fins in each side pocket. masks and snorkels in "padded reg bag" in lower front pouch. fold wetsuit in 1/2 vertically, roll up pistol light in wetsuit, place inside BCD with releases open to wrap snugly around wet suit. BCD/wesuit/light packages go into the bag facing horizontally. gloves, sausages, hoods, vests, batteries and spare zippy's/garbage bags tucked into free spaces around BCD packages. the 'spares and reparis' kit goes in the upper pocket on the front of the bag.

thats it.
lorien.

ps. this bag has survived 3 trips to the Atlantic and 3 to the Pacific/S. Pacific.

We also have 2 of the large Akona bags and were disappointed in the quality of the product. On one bag the wheel broke before even entering the airport from the car (screw holding wheel stripped out and cracked plastic), and the second was damaged in flight from Vegas to Cancun (handle would not retract). Both the airline and Akona told us that this was not their fault. We tried to return them to the LDS where they were purchased and were told that we could not return damaged items.... Several letters to Akona to customer service with the same result, not their fault. One more company with no reguards for customer service and will no longer receive any more business from us. We are purchasing Pelican cases now, the 1660 and 1650 are a little more in price but much better quality, and Pelican stands behind their product.

Chris

I just got one, and I really like it. it seems to be better made than alot of the luggage that I have used, it will hold all my gear with some room to spare. my reg will go in carry on so that leaves that whole area for clothes. A friend had his reg in regular baggage and the airport gorillias actually managed to BEND yolk on his reg. I guess if they can manage that they can wreck any bag out there. the pelican cases are just to heavy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom