Akona AKB-114 Rolling Backpack Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLuuke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey does anybody use this bag to carry around there luggage. If so How is it, any input is appreciated? If not can anybody recommend any good durable traveling bags backpack and roller style?
ScubaLuuke

ScubaLuuke:
Hey does anybody use this bag to carry around there luggage. If so How is it, any input is appreciated? If not can anybody recommend any good durable traveling bags backpack and roller style?
ScubaLuuke

Hi Luke. The Akona AKB-144 is probably the largest selling roller backpack in the country. Akona has a great reputation for value in the products they sell. We have probably sold over 1000 of those bags since we opened our online store.

That being said, I personally think the XS Scuba BG-110 Roller Backpack is a better value. XS Scuba has a wonderful reputation for high quality and customer service. They have several features on their bags that make them a better value. For one, the regulator bag (BG-560) that comes with the XS Scuba Roller Backpack is rounded at the top and a little thicker than the Akona reg bag. This make it much easier to fit a fully-equipped regulator in the bag. The rounded top on the bag makes it MUCH easier to zip the bag. The backpack itself is VERY well made and I feel the stitching is superior to the Akona bag. An important feature is the easy replacement of the wheels and the retractable handle. Roller bags get exposed to some pretty rough service. While both companies warranty their wheels and retractable handles, the Akona bag requires the return of the entire bag for warranty service. That dictates a pretty serious shipping charge. The XS Scuba bag has wheels that are indivdiually removable, making the return of a single wheel extremely easy. The same applies to the handle assembly. Overall, the XS Scuba bag is better thought out and a better buy for the consumer. If you are interested, take a look at the bag on our website. You can use the following link.

XS Scuba Roller Backpack - Regulator Bag Included!

For what it is worth, if you phone us toll-free at (800) 601-DIVE, we will give you an additional 10% discount for your trouble. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Thanks Phil, I highly appreciate your comment and will definately take it into consideration when it comes time to purchase this bag. I do like the style of the XS bag and will probably end up going with it. Thanks again

im looking to buy a bag for my soon to have gear, i was looking into the lines of a duffle bag type though any suggestions or thoughts on that or is the backpack the way to go?

I think that backpack seems like a much easier type of travel. I am going for the roller style backpack and will carry a duffel bag able to get wet along as well, and I will plan to take the wet duffel on the boat.
ScubaLuuke

scubaluuke i do not agree with you i think your are wrong. much less stress on the back and a little cheaper you should look into but then again you are the one with a job. jk with ya roomie

hahaha, Anybody have any trouble with theft of scuba bags that are checked into airlines? If so, can anybody suggest a possible way around this or a bag that can fit a majority of gear and be carried onto a plane?
ScubaLuuke

Most people carry on the regs, computer, can lights, camera's etc. and leave the BC, wetsuit, and fins in the checked bag. If you have a BP/W that may be possibly carried in the carry-on also. Fins I am not sure of, I think most are too big.

I was looking for a bag like this also. The main problem I see is that there is no standard carry-on bag size for the airlines. Some allow bigger bags and some airlines only check in some airports. Also if you are flying a regional plane you may not get to carry the bag into the cabin with you. Some will make you check it.

Some bag manufactures make a cover that surrounds the main bag to disguise it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom