akona 162

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walt williams

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Akona 162 wheeled gear bag? The 142 seems to get all the press, but the 162 looks like the better choice for my wife's B.D. present. Not as boxy looking, but I haven't seen one in person yet -- just websites.

Just received my new Akona 162 gear bag. Got it from diveus.com via ebay for $110. Lots of extras and pockets but it is significantly smaller than the "big" roller bag.

It comes with a free regulator bag that has it's very own built in pocket accessed by a zippered area between the carry handle and the pull out handle on the top of the bag. Kinda different than any other bag I've seen and not mentioned on the websites. It would sandwich your regs in a padded case in the middle of other items so it's relatively protected and easy to remove. I always carry my regs on the plane so I can pack clothing in there or other items. Might be a cool place to stash jackets or a quick change of clothes without having to dig through the main compartment? The liner for this hidden compartment can be rolled out of the way if you don't use it.

Side fin pockets won't hold XL Jet Fins or Small US Divers Blades but will hold med or large Jet Fins. Luckily for me I no longer use the XL jets or the blades :)

I'd recommend that you try to look at one hands-on to make sure it will hold what you plan to take. Aside from fins being an issue, it should easily hold a full set of gear for warm water diving trip. I have a duffle-style Akona roller bag for drysuit etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom