airspeed press

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, Crystal,

Ye olde chicken and egg quandry! How do you know whether a tech is good unless you try his services? Well, that is the power of referals from people you trust. In my case I asked some real sticklers in the local club and they swore by one shop--unfortunately, it is 3000 miles from where you live!

Sooooooooooooo, you got to ask around Providence. I sure would not recommend that your first annual be done by you, yourself and thee! Or an amatuer friend unless he has one heck (that is spelled, H-E-L-L) of a lot of experience.

I do not know the authors personally, but I bet that they are not "mechanically challenged" and that their shop is as filled with "toys" as mine! And some pretty sophisticated toys. One more thing--for many things, unless you are committed to doing a lot of your own work, you will save no money: the tools can be a large capital outlay.

On the other hand, (Do you know the famous quote by President Harry S. Truman about a one-armed econmist?) if you are good, you can be sure the work is done correctly! For years--before all the electronic stuff got into them--I did my own car maintainance and it was always done correctly! But I had been tuning cars, changing clutches and trannies, etc. since high school. Eventually, I got tired of busted knuckles, greasy overalls (and hair!), and horsing around heavy stuff underneath a car. So, now I have a trusty mechanic--who has not let me down so far..............

This probably does not help, but I spent too much time on it to "clear the field". I hope your weekend is doing well--The Luhzin Defence" was a little depressing--but a good "little" movie, never-the-less.

Joewr

Hi Joewr,

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Yeah, was not planning to do DO-It-Yourself maintenance anyway. I am fully aware of my inexperience and my limit at this point.
(Maybe it will change within the next
few years.)

But I DEFINITELY don't like the idea,
to trust my life onto an equipment without knowing
how it works "100%". I believe you should
completely understand and treat all of your
life support equipment with respect.

Maybe its just me, but I would be extremely
upset if I would die at 150ft due to bad
regulator service from a local technician.

Though I would feel stupid,
I would not be that upset if it was me who serviced that malfunctioning one.

I prefer to have full control over my life.

Regards,

Crystal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom