airspeed press

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crystal

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody read the books from
airspeed press.
http://www.airspeedpress.com

I am not interested in learning how to mix my
own gas etc.
However, I thought it might be good to gain
in depth knowledge how a regulator works.
I don't think I want to take it apart in the near future...

And maybe learn how to make a canister light?

crystal

Yep, have all three on the bookshelf and read them all. The O2 hackers handbook has a bunch of good stuff to know even if you're not planning on putting a bank of helium cylinders in your garage. I would recommend it to anyone getting into nitrox or trimix.

The reg book is also good, covers most of the common regs. If you really want to know how to service your own regs and don't have access to manufacturers' shop manuals, it would be a good place to start. Didn't have any info on my 1966 Royal AquaMaster though. If all you're after is learning the basics of how a reg works, the reg book will be way overkill.

The divelight companion covers just about everything you need to know to build a cannister light. Also gives sources for materials, etc. Pretty good stuff if you're a tinkerer, although to build some of the parts, you need a lathe or a shop that can machine them for you.

Their books are clearly written and provide information that is good to know whether you're going to do any of the projects. Their material is better than most of the rip-off specialty training.
DSAO

Hmm, let's see the soap box can go over here.....

Okay, Crystal, a few words...these books are excellent and it is great to understand your equipment, but when it comes to servicing it, beware! I have worked with high pressure gases most of my life and have a great respect for the damage that then can do. I also have a great respect for the need to be careful when you "tinker" with the equipment.

In particular, an experienced machinist or service person will recognize things that a novice will not--things that a novice will either overlook or not understand the consequences of their existence. Things like "scoring" (scratches) or pitting or the initial signs of work hardening. So, by all means, read and understand, but let the pros who have experience do the work. A repair shop might even let you watch--but remember the famous sign that graces many shops:

Charge for repair--$10.00
Charge for watching--$20.00
Charge for "helping"--$50.00

Okay...put the soap box back in that corner...

Joewr

Thanks for your feedback joewr,

Few more question:

I read, I think it was here or at some other scuba sites, that some hardcore scuba divers, who are NOT
service technicians, do everything by themselves.
Of course,
after taking a repair seminar from the manufacturer and getting training (only certain manufacturers who allow regular divers to sit in their seminars).

Though the seminar probably will teach them how to
do it by themselves, I am sure it does not
give them the expertise of an honest, hardworking,
skilled technician who services 100+ regs a year.

What u think of the do it yourself maintenance?

The people who do it themselves, argue
that "doing it themselves" is better than to get
service from a non-so-good, I-don't-care, technician.

I don't think I will service my reg. myself.
But was curious what others were thinking...

crystal

Crystal,

I thought you'd never ask!

First, I have to be careful because some folks who read these things have the same philosphy a manager of mine had:
"When I want your opinion, I will give it to you!"

Next, I used to restore old cars as a hobby. I also did my own repair work on my own cars for many years. So I am not an inexperienced mechanic--but an amatuer one. So when I was rebuilding the carb on my '48 Ford (in 1989)I did not quite get it right--I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that a friend in my old car club who is professional mechanic took one look at the carb as we were dismantling it and said,"That's the problem." It was a little scratch (scoring) that led to a slight vacuum leak--but enough to affect the performance under certain conditions. I would never have seen that!

So, when it comes to regs and valves and gauges, I think an amatuer can miss things that pro would not. Now, if my carb failed all I had was a red face and a towing bill. If your reg fails at 90 ft,................ So my opinion is have a well-recommended pro do the job...and if you want to learn to do it, get a job in a shop that does that kind of work or go to school or learn from a pro, etc.

And with that Barbara and I are out for our evening aerobics followed by a nice "little" movie called "The Luhzin Defence"...

Good diving!

Joewr

Crystal,

You've asked a key question and one that many don't. Who services your regs and how good a job they do are more important than where or how much you paid. Crappy service regardless of who provides it (you or a "qualified" tech) equals a crappy reg regardless of how good or expensive the reg is.

That's what I think anyway.
Sam

Thanks for your feedback Sam,

OK, in that case let me ask a different question to
everyone:

Did people out there had bad experience with their annual
regulator maintenance and their service technician?

Or is it just a very rare case that is exaggerated in the
regulator maintenance book in order to sell book?
(That chapter is also on the web.)

I just started diving a few month ago, and never had the
chance to get my own serviced...

Regards,

Crystal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom