Airline losing all the gear + mitigating the risks next time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You believe the airline is less likely to honor an excess valuation that you paid a fee for than an insurance company that you likewise paid a fee (premium) for? Delta charges $50, for example, if I declare a value between $4,000-$5,000. Would Delta take my money and then when they lose my bag say "sorry--we're not honoring that"?

They would. They do it every day. There's a long list of exclusions, among them electronics and photographic equipment, and "recreational/sports items that aren't in hard-sided case," and items for which you "don't have proof of loss or receipts."

Conditions of carriage − Support − American Airlines

Other carriers are similar. They treat baggage liability as a cost to be minimized to the extent feasible, and not as an area where they're trying to provide good customer service. Way the world works.

US-based homeowner's insurance policies typically cover your stuff when you travel. Claims service varies but the better insurance companies generally pay their claims.

You believe the airline is less likely to honor an excess valuation that you paid a fee for than an insurance company that you likewise paid a fee (premium) for? Delta charges $50, for example, if I declare a value between $4,000-$5,000. Would Delta take my money and then when they lose my bag say "sorry--we're not honoring that"?
Whether Delta is underwriting it themselves or merely reselling insurance underwritten by a separate company, there will inevitable be T&Cs that will need to be met to achieve reimbursement. The T&Cs will inevitably favour Delta.

Excerpted from Air Canada’s

INTERNATIONAL TARIFF GENERAL RULES APPLICABLE TO THE TRANSPORTATION OF PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE

at page 62:

Excess Value Charges
a) For itineraries subject to the Warsaw Convention, as amended, a passenger may declare a value for baggage in excess of 250 French Gold Francs (approximately $20) per kilogram in the case of checked baggage and 5000 French Gold Francs (approximately $400) per passenger in the case of unchecked baggage or other object of which the passenger takes charge himself/herself. When such a declaration is made a charge for excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the rate of $0.50 for each $100 or fraction thereof. For itineraries subject to the Montreal Convention, a passenger may declare a value for baggage in excess of 1,131 Special Drawing Rights per passenger. When such a declaration is made a charge for excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the rate of $0.50 for each $100 or fraction thereof.

They would. They do it every day. There's a long list of exclusions, among them electronics and photographic equipment, and "recreational/sports items that aren't in hard-sided case," and items for which you "don't have proof of loss or receipts."

I think I see now. So an airline's exclusions are broader than an insurance company's exclusions. That's all I was asking. Both have exclusions--I was just wondering whether (and if so, why) the airlines exclude more than insurance companies. I don't have homeowner's insurance.

Excerpted from Air Canada’s

INTERNATIONAL TARIFF GENERAL RULES APPLICABLE TO THE TRANSPORTATION OF PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE

at page 62:

Excess Value Charges
a) For itineraries subject to the Warsaw Convention, as amended, a passenger may declare a value for baggage in excess of 250 French Gold Francs (approximately $20) per kilogram in the case of checked baggage and 5000 French Gold Francs (approximately $400) per passenger in the case of unchecked baggage or other object of which the passenger takes charge himself/herself. When such a declaration is made a charge for excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the rate of $0.50 for each $100 or fraction thereof. For itineraries subject to the Montreal Convention, a passenger may declare a value for baggage in excess of 1,131 Special Drawing Rights per passenger. When such a declaration is made a charge for excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the rate of $0.50 for each $100 or fraction thereof.
To paraphrase: it is $ per pound. 20 pounds of bricks is worth the same as 20 pounds of your favourite dive gear (and dirty underwear)?

First of all I'm sorry for your painful loss. I really am and feel for you.

What I do is this:
1. I insure all my gear with special additional insurance to my home insurance.
2. I use a credit card that insures my flight and loss
3. I buy another travel insurance as well (not the one the airline offers).

Have I ever collected. Yes. Gear lost of stolen and I will claim it. I don't want to claim but if I have to, I will. Check your credit card and see if you are covered if you bought your tickets thru it.

Its a painful loss but thank goodness your health is good. Object can be replaced.
Travelling has become difficult in the world. Instead of being a pleasure to fly, it's becoming a nightmare in many instances including yours.

You routed through Canada, so I would suggest joining the "Air Passenger Rights (Canada)" group on Facebook. The person who runs the group is a passenger rights advocate who started in this line of service after an airline made things exceptionally difficult for him a few years ago. He's had great success in helping people figure out their rights and recoup losses.

First of all I'm sorry for your painful loss. I really am and feel for you.

What I do is this:
1. I insure all my gear with special additional insurance to my home insurance.
2. I use a credit card that insures my flight and loss
3. I buy another travel insurance as well (not the one the airline offers).

Have I ever collected. Yes. Gear lost of stolen and I will claim it. I don't want to claim but if I have to, I will. Check your credit card y pand see if you are covered if you bought your tickets thru it.

Its a painful loss but thank goodness your health is good. Object can be replaced.
Travelling has become difficult in the world. Instead of being a pleasure to fly, it's becoming a nightmare in many instances including yours.
Agreed (except we ignore #2 as that seems more like insurance for when we do not get there and #3 already covers that)

For the OP there is no means to prevent loss of stuff. It WILL happen to all of us eventually. Once it does happen you need to be able to immediately continue to enjoy your vacation (separate issue) and then eventually get compensation for your lost stuff.

To get your money back for lost stuff (in NA) the best bet is to make sure your valuable stuff is covered by your tennants/home owners insurance. Dive gear is not special, it is like hockey or golf gear. It is just stuff you own. No need for special "golf gear" insurance. It is stuff you own that went missing, who cares why...

The topic of mitigating the continuation of your vacation has nothing to do with insurance: it is all about smart packing. There are lots of threads on SB about this. Like personal MEDs, carryon anything that you can not dive without. For my divebuddy it is essential she carries her prescription mask. For me, not much. Regardless I do carry on a bathing suit and spare set of underwear.

You routed through Canada, so I would suggest joining the "Air Passenger Rights (Canada)" group on Facebook. The person who runs the group is a passenger rights advocate who started in this line of service after an airline made things exceptionally difficult for him a few years ago. He's had great success in helping people figure out their rights and recoup losses.
As a cunuckistan resident this is interesting. Do you have a link to a simple description of our rights? Are they any different than the (limited) Warsaw covention stuff mentioned above by @Dogbowl ?

Here is a link: Lost Baggage | Step by Step Guide | Air Passenger Rights

The Facebook group, though, provides personal advice and has a lot of information. Gabor has been slower about updating the website. I've been following this for ages - it's really interesting. The FB group is the place to go if you have delays or your flight gets cancelled.

There are ways to get more than the Montreal Convention maximums and that website links to some of the relevant case law. It depends how much of a fight you want to get yourself into.

Back
Top Bottom