Airfare - Someone Please Explain!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia, We're just missing each other. Leaving Cozumel today and will be in Bonaire first 2 weeks of Oct.
Only thing I can add to ITA Matrix is search one way and one passenger.

As an airline insider, the previous post explaining airline pricing logic was thorough and accurate. (Disclaimer - I am in flight operations, not revenue management). I get the frustration with the “logic” of how flying from the US to Amsterdam to Bonaire costs less than from many places in the US to Bonaire..... A recent search for me was over $1100 for MSP-BON, but buying 2 separate tickets MSP-AMS and AMS-BON totaled around $850 for the airfare. I have found that its consistently cheaper to fly to the Philippines or Indonesia than to Bonaire.
For Bonaire to become cheaper to fly to from the USA, we need some alternate routes to get there. If airlines allowed interline ticketing from AUA, prices would almost certainly drop. I have seen flights to AUA from many places in the USA under $400 if you have flexible dates. Most people dont want to risk a delay and missed flight and many dont even consider separate tickets on Divi Divi or EZair. If these airlines allowed their results to be included in pricing and protected from missed connections, we’d certainly see the fares drop.
Richmond is market that I watch for flights because I have family there. American seems to be attempting to gain some market share back from Delta to the Caribbean. You will likely see fares drop between now late August.

If you ask me Delta STINKS!! My last 3 times I traveled with them, they wait until 2 weeks prior and then they send a e-mail saying the schedual has changed and now you have to spend the night and pay for it. If I would want a over night flight, I would have booked a over night flight. DELTA STINKS!!!!

If you ask me Delta STINKS!! My last 3 times I traveled with them, they wait until 2 weeks prior and then they send a e-mail saying the schedual has changed and now you have to spend the night and pay for it. If I would want a over night flight, I would have booked a over night flight. DELTA STINKS!!!!

I would rather fly with Klingons than with Delta!

I've actually had pretty good luck with Delta. I gave up the ghost and booked today. $1K/ticket. UGH!

ljwillia, We're just missing each other. Leaving Cozumel today and will be in Bonaire first 2 weeks of Oct.
Only thing I can add to ITA Matrix is search one way and one passenger.

Great taste in dive destinations:) Where are you staying in October?

I've actually had pretty good luck with Delta. I gave up the ghost and booked today. $1K/ticket. UGH!

do you check in on pricing once a week for say a month straight while still many months in advance? I see tickets to philippines fluctuate crazily. one week pricing is 850 round trip...a week later its 1100 then a week after that it goes to like 675 for maybe a day. all for same flight same days....

crazy stuff

I do. I have trackers through Google Flights and Hopper. Both alert me to price changes. When I booked today, there were not a lot seats to choose from. I'm glad I booked when I did.

My $.02 worth...

Enter your dates and then click on the "flexible schedule" button so you can see the other dates near your preferred ones. Do this 2-3 times a week, over a month or so and watch the rates fluctuate. When you sorta feel good about it, book it. Do this well in advance (6 months or so) and then move on with your life. NEVER go back and check again. If it's less, it will make you grumpy.

This is a dance you must choreograph with VRBO / AirBNB.

If you try to do any of this at the last minute, your vacation will be overshadowed with mad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom