Airfare - Someone Please Explain!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So frustrated. We are booked for Buddy Dive Oct 12 - 19. Haven't booked airfare yet because I'm waiting for prices to drop. The week before and after we're booked airfare is $700. The week we're booked airfare is over $1000. What gives?!

So frustrated. We are booked for Buddy Dive Oct 12 - 19. Haven't booked airfare yet because I'm waiting for prices to drop. The week before and after we're booked airfare is $700. The week we're booked airfare is over $1000. What gives?!

The issue of airfare is quite the task to answer. When I worked for AA (and latter ATUSA) I learned about "yield management". On each flight a dedicated number (always kept a secret) of seats were allocated at a particular fare with its own particular rules - called a fare basis code. When those fares sell out the other seats are sold at a different fare. There can be many different fares [each with its own annoying rules] for the same flight. Fares can also change for a particular flight. The yield management team watch the flight loads and "update" the fares as needed. Changes are brought on by sales from competitors, how many seats are being sold or not sold (supply and demand), the fluctuating price of fuel, holidays, and the list goes on. This is why we were taught to always state "no fare is guaranteed until purchased".

To complicate things further, travel / tour operators and .com travel websites set up contracts with airlines and have their own fares. They pay the airline the contracted fare, adjust it and then sell it to you. This I learned at ATUSA. The contracted fares have different rules and are subject to yield management from the airline. The contracted fares are simply that, not contracted seats; meaning the agency is not (sometimes it can, bur rarely) allocated a number of seats on a particular flight. This can be arranged with smaller airlines, called public charters. When it comes to the major airlines the yield management team will allocate some seats for the agencies. This number can change at anytime depending on the flight load.

Another way of looking at this is, you are buying a fare, not a seat. Fares are subject to change and are not guaranteed until purchased. Welcome to yield management.

The issue of airfare is quite the task to answer. When I worked for AA (and latter ATUSA) I learned about "yield management". On each flight a dedicated number (always kept a secret) of seats were allocated at a particular fare with its own particular rules - called a fare basis code. When those fares sell out the other seats are sold at a different fare. There can be many different fares [each with its own annoying rules] for the same flight. Fares can also change for a particular flight. The yield management team watch the flight loads and "update" the fares as needed. Changes are brought on by sales from competitors, how many seats are being sold or not sold (supply and demand), the fluctuating price of fuel, holidays, and the list goes on. This is why we were taught to always state "no fare is guaranteed until purchased".

To complicate things further, travel / tour operators and .com travel websites set up contracts with airlines and have their own fares. They pay the airline the contracted fare, adjust it and then sell it to you. This I learned at ATUSA. The contracted fares have different rules and are subject to yield management from the airline. The contracted fares are simply that, not contracted seats; meaning the agency is not (sometimes it can, bur rarely) allocated a number of seats on a particular flight. This can be arranged with smaller airlines, called public charters. When it comes to the major airlines the yield management team will allocate some seats for the agencies. This number can change at anytime depending on the flight load.

Another way of looking at this is, you are buying a fare, not a seat. Fares are subject to change and are not guaranteed until purchased. Welcome to yield management.
Agreed. The airline industry pricing morons have created a system so complicated that ticket prices often make no sense, and even the insiders can not explain why.

A friend that travelled from North America to England for work every quarter got to fly business class about once a year because it was cheaper than economy. Same flight, same plane, same airline. Defies logic.

Is there a booking agent for Buddy Dive? You might contact him/her ask to have the airfare booked for you. They will probably charge a fee but it wouldn't be a lot, and they would most likely be able to find and book the best fares/flights.

Thank you for the explanation. Truly fascinating but it makes my head (and wallet) hurt!

Is there a booking agent for Buddy Dive, you might contact him/her ask to have the fare booked for you. They will probably charge a fee but it wouldn't be a lot, and they would probably be able to find and book the best fares/flights.

Good suggestion. I'll contact Buddy Dive and check!

or as suggested... Columbus Day

I had not considered Columbus Day as my company does not count it as a holiday. We had the same issue with our recent trip to Coz. The week of Independence Day was ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately, we had no choice. That was the only week available to us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom