Aircraft Carrier anyone???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Earlier post pulled, as it's near a duplicate of the later one.

Dharshana Jayawardena:
Hi,
I have dived the H.M.S Hermes several times. It is the most exciting & best/challenging dive in Sri Lanka. The top deck is at 42m and the bottom is at 54m. There are no aircrafts onboard. But you can see plenty of anti air craft guns and unused shells. For more information and some pictures pls see www.DiveSriLanka.com -> Wreck Dives sectionn.

Thanks & Regards
Dharshana
Editor
www.DiveSriLanka.com
Thank you Dharshana and much appreciation for your post & dive experience!
I will be going on the April 2006 Hermes Expedition chartered through Tech Asia
http://asiadivers.com/techasia/expdive.html, and you have given me some very informative links to explore. . .
FWIW, this is not a GUE Expedition --but it seems as of late, a courtesy invite has been offered to its members. . .

Good job on plugging your business twice in the same thread back to back... in a thread that has been dead for months.
Thank You Jonny. Resurrection of dead things are my speciality! As you see, I am back giving life to another post dead for two years!

However if you bothered to look in to the site you will notice that it is not a business.
Its a web site about a whole country. It also lists every dive center in the country. This site is a non-profit web site and I have to spend good money to keep it float and so far not earned a cent. I am not in the dive industry anyway, just a hopeless Nitrogen addict who needs a fix at least every week!

See you in another 2 or 3 years!

Yeah and the trip in April 2006 was canceled because of the war between the Sri Lanka Gov't and the Tamil separatists, with concerns of personal safety for our group. . .

(Arthur C. Clarke, may you rest in peace. . .)

and i will keep the resurrected thread going!

just returned from a successful Hermes expedition together with Dharshana Jayawardena, ajithf and a couple of others. did 3 dives on the midsection, rear and front close to the bow. we had good conditions with flat seas, mild currents and 20-25m viz which allowed us to cover a large area of the ship. all the dives were on air and didnt include penetration.

the wreck is lying upside down on its flight deck. its intact with some damage, and the main tower has broken off and is lying on the starboard side. several anti-aircraft guns are still pointing towards the sky. one propellor is clearly inact but the other and part of the rear including the hangar seems to have been destroyed. the dive starts around 42m and bottoms out around 54m but part of the ship is buried under sand and it may be possible to go deeper if you penetrate. penetration appears possible through several large openings.

the wreck is covered in large black corals, soft corals and sea fans and there is good fish life. large schools of yellow snappers and fusiliers, groups of mangrove snappers and trevally, and lots of lionfish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom