Air2 with a BP & Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what he dives, but I would bet it's long hose primary & backup on a short hose as I described earlier.

Is it possible to use an Air2 style secondary with a BP & W?

Absolutely! I use mine on my Halcyon Pioneer 27 singles wing. No problem whatsoever. (I've used an Air II since I did my open water, in 1987. I am actually on my second one, a 2nd gen Air II that I purchased new in 1990 or so. First one was a 1st gen that I purchased new in 1987. Love it for the occasions when it makes sense.)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Is it possible to use an Air2 style secondary with a BP & W?

Yes it's possible. The important thing is to use a long primary 2nd stage hose. IMO 5ft, routed in the hogarthian way, is ideal for OW diving, but lots of folks like the 40" hose with an elbow routed under the right arm.

It's important to use a longer primary 2nd stage hose because you will be donating the primary. All it takes is once sharing air on a 30" hose in an emergency while also trying to breathe and control buoyancy with the air2, and you'll understand the beauty of the long hose even for recreational diving.

There are disadvantages to the air2; it's a proprietary connector, so if something happens to your LP inflator hose, your BC, or your regulator set, and you need to rent something (or grab the spare set on the boat) you will have a problem. Another issue is that you need a long corrugated hose to make it comfortable to breathe from, and this is IMO more bulky and clumsy for venting. In fact, the whole thing is bulky and clumsy. Don't forget, on every dive you use the inflator several times, where you only need the alternate 2nd stage if something goes wrong. Having a nice simple compact inflator mechanism on a short corrugated hose is more comfortable to me. Then the alternate 2nd stage stays on a bungee necklace right under your chin, on a 22"-24" hose. It really is a better system for every day diving, and WAY better in an emergency.

But, if you really want the air2 it will work, just get the longer primary hose and longer corrugated hose.

I thought that's what Tobin uses for an octo.

Er, uh, well for starters I don't use an "Octo", never have. I use a back up regulator on a 24" hose. This regulator is secured on a bungee necklace under my chin. Zero opportunity for it to drag on anything, yet it is instantly available to me.

Hopefully that is sufficiently specific for you.

Now back to my question, which is more likely to drag, a long corrugated hose, (24-30 inch) as is required for use with a Combo Octo inflator, or a 13 inch corrugated hose and simple inflator?

Tobin

There are disadvantages to the air2; it's a proprietary connector, so if something happens to your LP inflator hose, your BC, or your regulator set, and you need to rent something (or grab the spare set on the boat) you will have a problem. Another issue is that you need a long corrugated hose to make it comfortable to breathe from, and this is IMO more bulky and clumsy for venting. In fact, the whole thing is bulky and clumsy. Don't forget, on every dive you use the inflator several times, where you only need the alternate 2nd stage if something goes wrong. Having a nice simple compact inflator mechanism on a short corrugated hose is more comfortable to me. Then the alternate 2nd stage stays on a bungee necklace right under your chin, on a 22"-24" hose. It really is a better system for every day diving, and WAY better in an emergency.

Please! You *must* be making this stuff up. Just pure baseless "internet" chatter. Clearly you don't actually dive and simply live to repeat false rumors.... :)

Tobin

You gotta love it. We start the conversation with a 22" hose according to Tobin and as the conversation goes along we are now at 24 to 30 inches. Let's see where it ends!

Please! You *must* be making this stuff up. Just pure baseless "internet" chatter. Clearly you don't actually dive and simply live to repeat false rumors.... :)

Tobin

True example: In Cozumel a number of years ago my gf's HP hose ruptured before a dive. I had to use the boat's spare reg set because of the Air2 connector being different than a standard LP inflator. I gave her my reg (with air2 hose) for the day and I used the boats and just did oral inflation. No Air2 would have been nice...their rental reg was terrible. Oral inflation is easy, especially when you're weighted properly.

Now back to my question, which is more likely to drag, a long corrugated hose, (24-30 inch) as is required for use with a Combo Octo inflator, or a 13 inch corrugated hose and simple inflator?

I'm not sure why some believe you need to use a longer corrugated hose. i use the original corrugated hose that shipped with my Halcyon Pioneer. This hose is quite short. I am able to breathe just fine from my Air II using this short Halcyon corrugated hose.

Had a custom Air II LP hose made to better suit the short Halcyon corrugated hose.

Steel 72 + SP Mk 10/D400 + Air II + SS Freedom Plate + Hal Pioneer 27. I use a regular-length IP hose on my reg. Really nice, simple, streamlined, robust/reliable package.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I am using the corrugated hose that came with my Hollis wing with my Air2...it's fine as it can be for a sub-optimal solution (IMO).

I'm not sure why some believe you need to use a longer corrugated hose. i use the original corrugated hose that shipped with my Halcyon Pioneer. This hose is quite short.

rx7diver

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I recently purchased a new SP Litehawk. I just went and measured the entire length of the corrugated hose and it was 16". I'm going to call SP tomorrow and let them know they are using the wrong hose. :D

Back
Top Bottom