Air Z Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to get an air integrated hosless computer.
Please lets not start a computer pros and cons debate here.

I decided on the Aladin Air Z Nitrox a while ago, but I just saw that post about the lawsuit against Uwatec for covering up software bugs in the Air X Nitrox for over 7 years.

I realize that some of the problems could have been avoided if people weren't so stupid, regardless of what the computer said, but I don't want to buy a computer that has a major bug like that with the software.

1- Are there any possible problems like that with the Air Z Nitrox?

2- Regadless of how good any piece of gear is, would you by any product from a company that is so scummy as to cover up major design flaws in a piece of dive gear?

From what i understand it only deals with the early models of the AIR X and not the later models. The AIR Z shouldnt have any problems .

Also check out the suunto vytec AI hoseless wrist computer. I just had to throw it out there as i use one and really like it :D

grunzster,
To answer your questions:

#1-Probably not. It's a microprocessor and there may be bugs in the software. None are known or similar symptoms at this time. This holds true for all microprocessors above or below the water. You fly on aircraft everyday that is controlled by an air traffic system with thousands of known software problems.

#2-Yes. Scummy companies are all around. I will use their stuff if they don't compromise national security like Toshiba did several years ago.

You would probably be happier with a different product. There are several from which to choose.
Dive Safe,
Larry

My wife has the Air Z, and while it is fine and reliable insturment I believe it is obsolete.

A few of my criticisms:

- The internal memory for logging dive data is pitiful.
I think it is 200 minutes. My Suunto does dozens of hours.

- Very chatty!! It beeps like crazy with breath warnings etc.
You have to disable most of the alarms to make it tolerable.

- The UI is really bad. Very confusing and hard to navigate.

- Many data points like Water Temp can not be seen at all.
You have to download the data to review this. (Extra $$$ for
the d/l unit.)

I would look into a more up to date unit unless you have a particular requirement for an Air Z.

The lawsuit / defect story does not inspire confidence. I won't be buying any more Uwatec gear.

Not a fan.

Dave

Oh yeah, just remembered another Uwatec AirZ gripe.

The software for logging downloaded data is crap. The data displayed is OK at best, but the software is primitive and neglected. It seems to have been developed about ten years ago by a non-programmer, and largely ignored since. There was finally an update a few months ago that supports long file names and recompiled to 32 bits. It was actually a WIN16 app before if you can belive that.

Dave

I have to agree with the fact that you can't access some of the nice features on the Aladins that you can with other computers like the day, date, time, water temp, etc. While this is annoying it's not that bad. I've owned an Air X for years and love the thing. Thank God it wasn't one of the defective ones although I'm usually conservitive on my dives anyway. My only grip is that there is no back lighting for the display. You have to shine your light on it to get it to glow and that only lasts a few seconds.

With that said, if you're absolutly set on buying one and nothing will change your mind then I wouldn't have a problem recommending it. The company is now owned by someone else and they have fixed the problem long ago so I believe their computers are safe. If on the other hand your mind is not made up I might suggest looking around. While the Air X/Z series of computers are very nice I do think there are others out there that are just as good, cheaper, with more and better features.

Scott

I use the Air Z o2 just upgraded from the AirX Nitrox, now my wifes ;

Well it is a top computer, super easy to read underwater, nice big display, as for beeping like crazy well mine does not make a sound the entire dive.. I turned off the buzzer.

The user interface is childs play, super easy to use.

It Displays only the information needed for the dive, when you are under the influence of narcosis thats all you want, water temp, date time and all the other rubbish can wait till you get home.

The Unlimited battery changes is nice to have

If you have any specific questions please let me know

The problems Uwatec had seem to be in the past , there new range of Dive computers are champion. Can't wait to see the Gas switching due out early next year I think.

How is it obsolete? Most of those complaints are just things you don't like about the interface, is there anything about it that truly makes if outdated/obsolete?

What does that Air O2 have that the Z doesn't? Does it actually have a better display? Does it have more memory? Is it going to replace the Air Z?

I really don't care about the data that isn't displayed. It still get's downloaded to the PC software right? I really don't need to know temp during my dive.

One of the things I really like about it is it's really low profile. To make it any lower they'd have to implant it in your wrist! A lot of the other computers I've seen look like you have a desktop PC strapped to your wrist.

The limited memory doesn't bother me either. I'll constanly be downloading it to my PC anyway.

The one thing I don't like though is that you need that stupid memomouse to connect it to your computer.

So which ones do you recommend? Who does make better desktop software? Which ones are, as you say, just as good, cheaper, with more and better features?

you are not running different mixes - plus it can't do helium.

The computer is a single mix per dive. If you are happy to do deco times based on you bottom mix nitrox then no problems.

The new models do have backlighting - give it a thump and the indigo glow comes on for a few seconds, can't remember how many.

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom