Air Z Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:)

grunzster,

I have both smart com and Air Z nitrox. I am very happy with my computers. I think Uwatec makes the top of the line air integrated computers. As for your queastion, I did a lot of research when I heard the lawsuit. A friend of mine has the mentioned model to the subject, and compared to the new generation models there is a big difference. I had no problems with mine and I frequently go for deep dives.( Still alive:wink: ) if you are planning to buy Air Z nitrox I would reccommend you to make sure that you get the one with the backlight. (latest generation)

:mean:

I've dove with my Air Z for over a year and it's great. The interface isn't hard if you take the 30 minutes when you first get it to go through it, which you should do with any computer.

With the transmitter it's very convenient to not have the hp SPG hose as the transmitter send the data to your computer. Just remember to turn it on when you first hook up your cylinder to check gas pressure.

The main difference between the Air Z and the O2 is that the O2 can be set to over 50% Oxygen, the Air Z can only go up to 50%. Not a big deal for recreational nitrox diving as most agencies qualify you to 40% with you basic nitrox (Enriched Air) certification.

As far a the lawsuit like the other posters I've only heard about it as related to older units, pre 1995 I believe.

I've done over 200 dives on the unit and it is great. I haven't had a problem with it to date so yes it is good in my opinion.

I agree that the software is somewhat old (style) compared to say Suunto or others it gives you your profile and info on your dive. All the computers need some sort of hook up so the memo mouse is no different then the others.

It does store less dive data then some other computers but most divers aren't filling up the 19 dive memory even on a week trip. Maybe the posters on this board do as we're all avid divers or work in the industry but I haven't had a diver complain about this.

The main difference between the ZO2 and the Nitrox is that the ZO2 can be used with the Oxy2 O2 sensors to monitor the O2 in the breathing loop of a semi-closed rebreather. It's designed for the Dräger Dolphin, but adapters for either the Dräger Ray or OMG Azimuth are available. It can also be used with the pressure transmitter for OC just as the Nitrox. As mentioned before, the ZO2 can calculate higher O2 mixes, but it doesn't have a dive planner.

I like the display, after the HS Explorer I think it's a close second. No screens to go through, all the important info is there and easy to read. The breathing rate warning can be adjusted (or switched off), but it's a good tool to become aware of when and how much air your sucking. It's wrist mounted, my preference. Good backlight, good protective cover, good graphing once downloaded. Did I mention, great display? :wink:

What I don't like: doesn't do RGBM or microbubbles in any way (that's what i call obsolete), wet contacts are a pita, memo mouse is a pita. Memory is ridiculous. It'll memorize 19 dives, but graph only the first five (if memory serves me right). Hence daily memo mouse downloads (mixed bag, it's smaller than hauling your labtop). Most parameters can only be adjusted by computer, much info only be retrieved by it. Battery change can't be done by user. Uwatec will test the unit after the cahnge, but the thing will take time and money (postage/insurance). If violated goes into lockout and sends 'info package' for computer download. No way to access data without PC.

The latter by itself is reason for me not to use it in the first place. Unless using one of the above mentioned RBs, it's a no-go for me.

good comments cave seeker! I'd even go so far as as to say if you are using an RB, look to something else like the VR3. It's not wireless but it does everything and works with CCR or SCR units.

I agree the VR3 is a much better computer. Plugs into the Oxygauge P-port, and there isn't that much difference in the price either. The HS Explorer would be my first choice though. Unlike the VR3 it has full RGBM, the best display of all computers, and it cost less than either VR3 or ZO2/Oxy2 when you get it sensor-integrated right away.

Two plus points for the Oxy two, though: It has two sensors rather than one, and the location in the inhalation hose should me closer to the final mix. And the adt'l. readout lets the buddy check it, too.

Ideally you can afford either VR3 or HS and the O2/Oxy2. Three sensors, three readouts ... :rolleyes:

It's not wireless but it does everything and works with CCR or SCR units.

Do you mean it's not hoseless? There aren't any good pics on their site, and didn't see anything specifying that.

Is the HS hoseless? Couldn't find that info on their site either.

Someone also mentioned the Vytec earlier in this post, what are all the Uuwatec haters opinions on that computer?

Back
Top Bottom