air movement tradeoffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With advice from others on this forum, I made a tube fan with a brushless computer fan to air out the legs of my dry suit.

I also have a standard fan blowing over the suit as a whole, to accelerate evaporation. But I got to thinking: this 2nd fan is probably not brushless. So my question is: am I doing more harm by using this fan on "damage to the seals" vs "getting gear dried faster and packed away".

Thoughts? It is laying out on the floor of my garage. The garage is only used for scuba gear. No vehicles or exhaust. Is it worth going to the expense of getting a "brushless" garage sized fan?

A fan with brushes would be an odity, are you sure that big one has brushes?

I followed the advice of some other posters and bought a Peet boot dryer to air out the inside of my drysuit. A couple 5' lengths of PVC and a pair of couplers let me build extension tubes that let me hang the suit upside down on the dryer. (I just took the dryer to Lowes to see what would fit. Turns out one of the standard PVC sizes is just right.)

The dryer doesn't blast hot air into the suit. It has a couple of small (small!) heating elements in the base, and warm air wafts up the tubes into the feet. In fact it hardly feels like it gets warm at all, but still does a good job and should easily dry out a damp suit overnight.

Anyway as to your original question I doubt that the ozone produced by a non-brushless fan would mess up your suit in occasional use. But that's just a hunch.

Back
Top Bottom