Air Jamaica to Bonaire???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dukeh20:
Thanks for all of you for the responses to my original post about Air Jamaica. Based on the consensus that it is not as risky a proposition as I originally thought, I am going to go ahead and book with AJ. A special thanks to the other Illinois/Cook County folks that have taken this flight. My folks live in Rockford and we usually go up the night before and take the Van Galder bus in. Great way to avoid the parking issues and they drop you right at Terminal 5.

Duke:D :D

Good luck with AJ.

The last time we flew with them to Bonaire out of Atlanta the trip back was a nightmare. They cancelled the Bonaire to Montego Bay leg without telling us; it's only after several hours of sitting at the airport that they finally own up to it. So then they say they will divert the flight coming from Curacao to pick us up and that when we get to MB "they will take care of you". We get to MB and they act like they didn't know we were coming. Needless to say, they didn't hold the Atlanta flight, so there are about 30 of us stranded in MB. Finally they give us room vouchers for a nearby hotel for the night, and once again "they will take care of you [foodwise] when you get there". Again, no preparation at the other end. We have to insist on getting food.

The next morning we have to go to Continental to get booked on a flight back to the States because of course AJ isn't running anything back that day. So we wind up going MB to Miami, 2 hour layover, Miami to Atlanta.

AJ is hit & miss at best. Good luck.

I just flew with AJ for the first time and we had no major issues with the airline. My wife and I flew out of JFK (New York). Their policy is to close the flight at the ticket counter 60 minutes before the sceduled flight and we arrived about 5 minutes late. The ticket line official and the ticket agent took us in and were very helpful and polite. Our scuba case weighed 57 pounds. Just coming back from Iraq, I didn't realize that the airlines had reduced the max baggage weight to 50 pounds. The ticket agent said that it would be a $25 surcharge for overweight baggage, but then said if we could reduce our baggage weight to 53 pounds, she'd let us go without additional charge. So, I removed the reg case and we hit 52.5 pounds. Very nice customer service.

We flew to Montego bay, had a layover of about 50 minutes and then proceeded to Bonaire on the same plane--an Airbus A321 with 3X3 seating. Some seats were lumpy and uneven, some were fine. The flight attendents were hospitable. We arrived to Montego Bay and Bonaire on time with no luggage issues, although it took about 30 minutes to get our luggage in Bonaire.

The Flamingo Airport is an open-air type airport about half the size (if that) of a typical Home Depot. My house is bigger than the baggage claim area, which gets especially jammed on Saturday afternoons when AJ and KLM planes arrive roughly 30 minutes apart. With the increase profile of Bonaire as a diving destination, I think they are in desparate need of a larger airport.

The flight back involved a little more standing in line than I had hoped for. I arrived at the airport at 1:50pm to catch a 4:10pm flight. Keep in mind that Saturday is probably the busiest travel day on Bonaire. My wife and I waited about 30 minutes in line to get to the baggage search area. There were 2 security officers searching and sifting through your check-in luggage, so don't lock anything up or zip tie your luggage until after the search. Then we waited another hour in line to get to the ticket counter. Make sure you pay your airport tax before you get to the counter ($20 cash only per person). There's a round office right in the airport lobby by the internet cafe. The AJ ticket agents were trying to get people through as quickly as possible and did not even check the 50 pound per luggage weight limit. As long as you did not exceed 100 pounds per 2 peices of check-in, you were fine. After we got our tickets, we proceeded through immigration and the x-ray machines that scanned our carry-on luggage. The waiting area was air conditioned--ahhh!

Getting on the plane in Bonaire was almost a free-for-all. They don't call row numbers. They call for first-class passengers, people with young children, and people that require assistance first, and everyone else next. They loaded the plane from both ends. Due to the tremendous back log of passengers trying to get through the security checks and to the ticket counter, our flight was delayed for 30 minutes. At Montego Bay, we had an hour layover, but because we were to board the same plane, our flight was delayed 30 minutes there also. Passengers that had connections to other cities (Philly for example) basically deboarded and boarded their connections immediately.

We arrived JFK exactly 30 minutes late. The captain gave regular updates during the flight, the cabin crew were nice, but the seats were still uneven and lumpy. Our luggage arrived with no issues. All in all, my wife and I were very impressed with AJ and have no reservations with flying with them again.

Glad to hear you had good luck with your flights maybe we will look at them for our trip next feb back to bonaire. Have you posted a rip report, and pics? Would love to read and see some pics to take care of the urge to jump on the first plane to the island.

scubaaaronh:
Glad to hear you had good luck with your flights maybe we will look at them for our trip next feb back to bonaire. Have you posted a rip report, and pics? Would love to read and see some pics to take care of the urge to jump on the first plane to the island.

Take care of the urge!? Makes mine worse. :)
Come on July!

I waited too long to book and the fares went from $513 to $663 per person. I don't know if something significant caused the price jump or if it is just because it's the weekend. If they come back down, I'm booking.

dukeh20:
I waited too long to book and the fares went from $513 to $663 per person. I don't know if something significant caused the price jump or if it is just because it's the weekend. If they come back down, I'm booking.

Where you booking through for that price i have been checking fares and was finding from 750.00 and up. Is that with AJ though chicago? i was looking at doing the continental flight if nothing else becomes available.

Herman just got my schedula for next year and we are going to go the last week of feb
Feb 23 - Mar 3. Another couple i know might be going also. We are going to stay at GRI in the one bedroom villas, that way everything is one site.

Air Jamaica from Chicago (ORD) has been $513 per person (not going until September). We did American last year for a little over $700 per person thru San Juan. All things being equal, if the fares are that close, we will probably do American so that we can get the frequent flier miles.

scubaaaronh:
Where you booking through for that price i have been checking fares and was finding from 750.00 and up. Is that with AJ though chicago? i was looking at doing the continental flight if nothing else becomes available.

Herman just got my schedula for next year and we are going to go the last week of feb
Feb 23 - Mar 3. Another couple i know might be going also. We are going to stay at GRI in the one bedroom villas, that way everything is one site.

dukeh20:
Air Jamaica from Chicago (ORD) has been $513 per person (not going until September). We did American last year for a little over $700 per person thru San Juan. All things being equal, if the fares are that close, we will probably do American so that we can get the frequent flier miles.

Thanks i will have to check that route out we are in grand rapids mi and only takes a few hours to get to chicago

Back
Top Bottom