"Air is for tires" :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My snorkel is nitrox, but unfortunately it only goes up to 21%. Stupid snorkel! I don't use it anymore :( :wink:

Snorkel...isn't that a warm water device?? Last time I saw one of those above the 50th parallel a sea lion was chewing on it.:D

Wow. One joke (missing the smiley) and even the GUE people came out of the woodwork :)

(Did you catch the smiley on that one?) The whole "air is for tires" is a *joke*. Really.

I was planning to do Nav, Nitrox and Stress&Rescue, and Nitrox just happened to be more convenient and be given first. I expect that I'll still dive air 80-90% of the time, but it's good to have the Nitrox option for multi-day/multi-dive profiles. I still remember gaming the tables in my 3-day boat trips to Los Coronados ("Just 15 more minutes and we're down one more repetitive group!").

Although, I *really* want one of those Nitrox snorkels! Can I get one that's O2 clean?

Sometimes. It depends on the dive.

Not for shallow dives.

Not for shallow dives.

Not for shallow dives.

Not for shallow dives. Even on dives for which this is true, you give up all other benefits of nitrox by doing this.

I get no such benefit and the only double blind study so far indicates it's all in their minds.
This is an excellent post.

Moreover, even on deeper dives, Dan's numbers and other studies show that using nitrox, EVEN ON AIR TABLES HAS NOT decreased the number of hits in the recreational dive community. Simply reducing the nitrogen content a few points hasn't lead to a reduction in hits eventhough we all clearly see that less nitrogen is better. Still, statistically speaking, the benefit is insignificant.

Staying hydrated, not being an idiot, slowing ascents, diving within YOUR limits, diving with your head and sticking to your plan, and training yourself to avoid panic have all been proven with numbers to decrease the number of hits.

Do I use nitrox? Yes, to extend bottom times and not as a tool to keep me safer. I use my brain for that.

Now, by typing this, someone will invariably give me the numbers to show me that nitrox is safer because you get less nitrogen and that is true and OBVIOUS so please don't waste your time with this response. :wink: I get it. Nonetheless, using nitrox has not resulted in fewer hits in the RECREATIONAL dive world YET.

Someone mentioned taking a class to learn more about nitrox. I notice most who take the class forget that on several pages in the padi nitrox manual they say exactly what I am saying. "Simply using nitrox hasn't led to a reduction..." blah blah blah and "The benefit is insignificant..." Look it up.

Nitrox is a great tool. PEOPLE use tools, so don't expect your tool (nitrox in this case) to do your job for you. You have to pick it up and decide how you are going to use it. "Nitrox makes me safer" sounds a little like "my hammer will build my house for me." You have to build it yourself. The hammer may help, but it won't do it for you.

Happy diving all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom