Air Integration & NDL Accuracy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point wasn't about gas volume, it was about nitrogen loading and NDLs.

I'm assuming that back in the day, you had a plan for that, right? You didn't just swim around until you ran out of gas...
Absolutely, Navy tables, a watch, and a capillary depth gauge :)

Again, not sure I understand. There are advantages of a dive computer, but I'm assuming that anyone who isn't using one is doing some sort of planning to know their NDL for the presumed square profile, right?

I guess a DC is good for that if your alternative is "swim around until you run out of gas, then ascend".
I find that DCs are very useful for new divers. Lot of stuff to remember on those first few dives, so it's easy to make a mistake. Now, most are probably diving with rental AL80s, so they will probably be gas limited. Being able to look at a DC and find out you are almost about to screw up in time, ascent rate, etc. is better than finding out at the surface.

I dove tables for years, and survived just fine. I now dive with a computer and use it regularly. I'm generally well within NDL limits, so that's not likely to sneak up on me.

If you find out underwater that you have exceeded NDL, there is no doubt, you screwed up. Computer will let you know what you need to do to get back to the surface safely. If making the same screw up without a DC, there is no real-time guidance on what you need to do now. Again, it's a screw up, and should lead to changes in dive planning for future dives.

Personally, I can't think of an acceptable reason for accidentally going in deco, any more than accidentally running out of air

But, then, of course, there are the folks on the boat who ask me why their dive computer does not seem to be working normally. After taking a look, I tell them that it is in violation gauge mode.

Right. I was responding to another poster's implication that you need a DC to keep you from going into deco.
Not at all what I was trying to imply. I was simply trying to imply that having it with you will give you better options in the event that you screw up to the point that you now have a deco obligation.

Not at all what I was trying to imply. I was simply trying to imply that having it with you will give you better options in the event that you screw up to the point that you now have a deco obligation.

OK, I misunderstood...

Good point. I agree.

Back
Top Bottom