Air integration for tech dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, carrying a spare HP spool and changing it is easy. There is always one in my wet notes. Carrying a spare transmitter battery is far less practical. So for expedition level planning AI fails on cost benefit.
I'm not following. You need more than the spool to change the spool, like two wrenches. Are they in your Wetnotes too? I'd much rather change the battery on a PPS transmitter than change a spool. But, just like checking an isolator before diving, don't you check battery conditions on your computer and your lights? Why not on your transmitter, too?

What for? I have all the charming and non-judgemental people here in scubaboard to talk to.
Unlike most of the people here, she cave dives something like every day using the gear she wrote about. I'd listen to her before I would most of the people here, at least if we're talking specifically about sidemount cave diving (which I believe you aren't interested in anyway if I have been following the conversation). There is clearly some bias in the article, but so long as her self-interests are known--she's a Shearwater dealer, and as Richard said it's possible she was even paid for the article--we can take that into account in weighing her opinions.

I'm not following. You need more than the spool to change the spool, like two wrenches. Are they in your Wetnotes too?
Actually yes, there are two Pandora tools in my wetnotes along with a spool and a half dozen zip ties.

Actually yes, there are two Pandora tools in my wetnotes along with a spool and a half dozen zip ties.
The titanium ones, I hope....or take a pound off your weigh belt....

In the case of my rebreather, it is doe to packaging. You just can't fit a transmitter directly to a 1st stage. But I don't see the issues with spools that an SPG has. They are not side loaded, spun in circles. They just sit where they sit and not loaded. Also picks the transmitters up off my butt and puts them close to the NERD. Never seen a dropped signal.
Yep, some first stages don’t allow a transmitter to screw on directly. I swapped out mine for ones with an accessible hp port so that i could. One of my rebreathers has a nerd controller. I haven’t had issue with it losing connection. My back mount unit doesn’t have a nerd, but i could definitely see it having a connection issue due to distance if it did. It has no issue keeping synch with a wrist mount perdix.

I find value in AI, even for backmount. I like looking at the air consumption in specific sections of the dive later on.

I'm not following. You need more than the spool to change the spool, like two wrenches. Are they in your Wetnotes too? I'd much rather change the battery on a PPS transmitter than change a spool. But, just like checking an isolator before diving, don't you check battery conditions on your computer and your lights? Why not on your transmitter, too?
If you aren’t at a level of diving where you have an adjustable wrench with you no need to listen to any of my advice.

If you aren’t at a level of diving where you have an adjustable wrench with you no need to listen to any of my advice.
What kevel of diving requires one to have a wrench on hand? I started keeping tools with me after open water certification. Did I jump the gun?

Edit: never mind, im an idiot.

We are not communicating. You said you had a spool in your Wetnotes. That implied to me you were intending to change your spool on the spot, perhaps on the steps, while wet. So I asked if you had wrenches in your wet notes too. I guess what you meant was you were still ashore, not in the water, and had all your tools available to you. In that case, how did you know your spool was leaking, and what difference does it make where you store your spare spool?
I'll ignore your slam on my diving level. Good luck ever reaching it.

The people that install them on a hose, with a spool, in addition to another gauge, on a hose, with a spool. I don't really understand. It is adding more common failures and I would just run a gauge personally.
That was my biggest annoyance. On the fathom (in sm bailout configuration) I had to install the transmitter on a hose that hangs between the can and the oxygen tank because I'm unable to directly screw it in. The large adjustable opv on the reg gets in the way on the apeks regs and you can't screw them both in. Its an annoyance because it's adding failure points. On my wife's in bm config, we can direct thread
I While not the end of the world, it is a nuisance. If it can be avoided, why not?
It's a huge annoyance. It never shows itself until you're in the water. I had a horrible 18 months of diving last year and the year prior. Almost every dive I'd either have a hose leak, a reg lose ip, a hp hose failure, a spool failure, or a valve handle leak. It got to the point I would drive up to dive and just get so annoyed I'd go home or do something else. It was a rough year. It happened so often I really questioned why the hell I just didn't dive in a single al80 with a jacket bc or quit diving entirely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom