Air integrated transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second fear I see here is that for some other reason the computer might not show an accurate pressure so you should check the SPG also. I really don't get this one. If you don't trust the computer to show you the proper tank pressure then why would you trust it to compute your NDL?
In both cases (and all day at work) I rely on the computer, but not absolutely. Is the output reasonable? I have a rough idea of what my NDL should be and what my tank pressure should be, and if the computer output is consistent with that, great. If not, reassess.

Even without the alert, you are no more at risk than with an SPG--after all, an SPG doesn't alert you to malfunction or lack of gas either--you have to look at it.

I disagree.

IMHO you are safer with an spg because you know you HAVE to look at it. You are not just waiting for a warning that may never happen.
It's an interesting discussion and has some parallels with rebreathers.
There are 2 schools of thought when it comes to rebreathers. One school prefers to automatically add O2 (eCCR) and has lots of alarms to warn the diver if something is wrong.
The other school requires the diver to add O2 manually and check his O2 regularly. (mCCR)

If I were to ever buy a rebreather would most likely go the manual route. Just seems to easy to get complacent otherwise.

IMHO you are safer with an spg because you know you HAVE to look at it. You are not just waiting for a warning that may never happen.

If someone dives with a computer with AI and never looks at it, waiting for their alarm to beep, I don't think there is any way of making that type of diver "safer."

I disagree.

You are right, I think, in the case of a low-on-gas alert. Some divers might rely on it. But one does not expect a lost-signal alert on any particular dive; indeed, as I said, I have never gotten one from my Suunto, as far as I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom