Air integrated transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a brass & glass SPG backup. However, I've yet to have an issue with my Oceanic VT-3 transmitter.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AI computers with wireless transmitters usually work fine and with no problems. The reason you also carry and use a SPG is because of 1) redundancy in case your computer DOES act up on you (it IS a computer after all) and 2) in case your batteries die unexpectedly during a dive or during a trip; you won't have to cancel the dive or the trip, and 3) in case you forget it or something happens to the computer.

I like AI personally. To me it's easier to watch my wrist. However, I would NEVER dive without a SPG "ALSO" in place during a dive and tucked neat against my body as backup.

USVet

I use a brass & glass SPG backup. However, I've yet to have an issue with my Oceanic VT-3 transmitter.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Fisheater, if you dont mind since you have a VT3, would you please look at my VT3 thread and post a comment (look under my posts - Better Deal Computer).

Thanks

I was an early adopter of this technology, since the early 1990s. It has steadily improved to the point where I have never caught my Suunto D9 with a lapsed signal in over 300 dives. I leave my SPG at home on short trips, but bring it on longer ones. If you decide that you are not confident enough in the technology to abandon the SPG that should not necessarily dissuade you from using a pressure reading transmitter. It's appeal is the convenience of having the data readily available on your wrist, as well as having the data in your log. An SPG secured to a hip D-ring is very unobtrusive, so the common justification of "losing a hose" is not very compelling. Just realize AI is far from necessary, and you can assemble a more reliable, equally capable kit for quite a bit less money, if you're not a gadget lover.

USVet96, So my perception is that I will be always checking my SPG even though I have the AI on the computer. Is there a time when you finally feel comfortable enough that you just look at the computer and don't bother looking at the SPG? Ok, maybe after 45 minutes or so you might just give it a peak. Still concerned though. Are others in the same boat or do you all feel comfortable using the AI on the computer?

USVet96, So my perception is that I will be always checking my SPG even though I have the AI on the computer. Is there a time when you finally feel comfortable enough that you just look at the computer and don't bother looking at the SPG? Ok, maybe after 45 minutes or so you might just give it a peak. Still concerned though. Are others in the same boat or do you all feel comfortable using the AI on the computer?

You will for a short amount of time (a few dives). Once you realize that the pressure reading you see on the AI computer is very similar, if not the same, as that on the SPG, you will slowly rely more and more on that. The other really nice thing with the AI computers is you cn set alarms pertaining to tank pressure. For example: turn around pressure alarm, minimum psi alarm, x time remaining alarm, etc. So you know that these alarms will be going off way before you would run out of air and not checked the gauge. If say the turn alarm on the AI goes off (and you know from your gas management planning that that number should be say 1800 psi) you can then compare THAT number on the AI computer to the SPG (this will match the 2 up, plus give you a better feel for accuracy on the AI). The alarm features are really nice because IF there is a problem where the AI is not working properly you will, or should, know about it ahead of time.

Once you are comfortable that the AI reads the same as the SPG, you will only spend a minimal amount of time looking at the SPG. But to me you still want it there just in case.

And you always want to check the SPG a few times with the AI anyway, to me, to make sure tht is being accurate on every dive. But that comes with time and trust of your AI.

Hope that helps

You know if the AI isn't working--it has an alert for a lapsed signal. No alert--no worries.

Vladimir - how do you like your D9? Not too co servative?

Yes that helps - thanks. Just to be clear though, are you saying the transmitter has the alarm or the computer has the ability to set alarms. I do like your idea for the "turn around alarm" and "mimimum psi alarm" I didn't know that you had the ability to set these parameters. Do all computers or transmitters have this function? I'm actually looking at getting the Mares Icon HD computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom