Air Integrated Computers "Could Potentially Kill You."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, everyone. Admittedly, the "Tagline." was an attention getter.
Firstly, I'm a firm believer in using gear that you are comfortable with, and like.
Secondly, I'm a firm believer in using gear that is appropriate for the specific dive that you are doing, and within your experience level.
I'd like to have different setups posted that you use, (Possibly pictures.)
What brand of computer do you use? Do you think that a stand alone wrist mount computer removes a potential risk (Failure Point?)
Although, any piece of equipment can fail.........Right?
What benefits are there in using A.I. other than determining your S.A.C. rate, and monitoring your P.S.I. or connecting more than one transmitter? (Are there more?)
What are the disadvantages in using A.I. computers.
I think the discussion will be interesting, and the replies will give us all some insight, whether we are newly certified recreational divers, experienced divers, technical divers, commercial divers, military divers, or the ones that delve into the "Dark Side."
(Yeah.....you know who, I mean.
I also think this might bring something back to some of us that we either have completely forgotten, or haven't thought about for awhile.....
I use (2) Shearwaters (Non-A.I.) for redundancy with (1) or (2) SPG's depending on the "Rig." I'm using. No elaboration (For now.)
Your question is just about the whether to use AI or not.

I had initial reservations and stayed away from AI for my first two computers. In 2018 I had the opportunity to buy a fully integrated one. I have my AI unit on a 15” hose secured on my front right. With a quick release so I can store it securely.

After over 250 dives I found:
Advantages:
* depth, dive time, remaining pressure in tank, water temperature, etc. All displayed together.
* visual warning of low tank pressure.
Disadvantages:
* easy to forget to fit the transmitter.
* can be fooled to think tank is on because of refresh rate during pre-dive check.

This may be TL;DR, but here goes

I'm ambivalent regarding AI now. I got into it for the same reason most did, and in fairness the only times I've had issues were down to myself not checking transmitter battery status prior to the dives (or checking and putting off changing the battery)

I do keep an SPG on all my reg sets. Originally because I wanted a backup before I trusted AI fully, and then because I couldn't be bothered to remove and hunt down the port plug I'd put in a "safe" place. Also my preference is to setup and check my gear with my SPG.

The way I dive means post/pre dive my computer is stored with my mask and gloves. I prefer to rig or change cylinders using my SPG to confirm contents, and then only check my computer is receiving when I'm gearing up. Because of refresh rates, I'm happier making idiot breaths using my SPG before I splash. YMMV

When I teach, I always use my SPG so my student can clearly see my unclip, read and re clip, leading by example.

I do like having the data on my arm, especially on a scooter or when task loaded in big currents, and sometimes the data has been useful in either confirming my underwater decisions, although its also important to understand how that data is derived

As an example, my wife once got shocked when her computer went red with low gas alarms (Time to surface) In reality she'd just inflated her dsmb, but the computer has taken a sample and extrapolated that consumption rate. 2 more samples later the computer was happy. Now she understands (it was nice just the once for her to think she was low on air given her ridiculously low consumption)

I have had TX battery issues with the Suunto Eon Pods, where I was getting only 6 months/50 dives. Suunto were incredibly helpful and supportive. Our four transmitters were exchanged a number of times for new units. The problem was finally traced to the batteries, which would degrade prematurely in our environment. (battery manufacturer recommends max 30C temps, in the shade in the summer our kit is exposed to 45C+

Although the new batteries do seem to have that issue, Suunto still only charge me for batteries that have completed their advertised life, and I understand the do the same for others in the region too. I've not had poor experience from Suunto in my region, even when I had a depth sensor fail (Suunto covered that charge too because it was an errant unit) My wife's and 3 friends who all purchased around the same time have never had an issue

Because I use SPG's, having no AI is a minor inconvenience or not something I notice. If I'm teaching say OW dives 1-4 or Rescue I might not even put them on that kit (all my TX are on QD+ short hose) and certainly they're not on in the pool (neither is my computer)

I can't get evangelical either way, and you should do what makes you happy. After all gear is just that, it enables you to get underwater, it shouldn't define the dive.

In my experience a Whale shark doesn't give a damn whether you're wearing a Teric or a Zoop :wink:

This may be TL;DR, but here goes

I'm ambivalent regarding AI now. I got into it for the same reason most did, and in fairness the only times I've had issues were down to myself not checking transmitter battery status prior to the dives (or checking and putting off changing the battery)

I do keep an SPG on all my reg sets. Originally because I wanted a backup before I trusted AI fully, and then because I couldn't be bothered to remove and hunt down the port plug I'd put in a "safe" place. Also my preference is to setup and check my gear with my SPG.

The way I dive means post/pre dive my computer is stored with my mask and gloves. I prefer to rig or change cylinders using my SPG to confirm contents, and then only check my computer is receiving when I'm gearing up. Because of refresh rates, I'm happier making idiot breaths using my SPG before I splash. YMMV

When I teach, I always use my SPG so my student can clearly see my unclip, read and re clip, leading by example.

I do like having the data on my arm, especially on a scooter or when task loaded in big currents, and sometimes the data has been useful in either confirming my underwater decisions, although its also important to understand how that data is derived

As an example, my wife once got shocked when her computer went red with low gas alarms (Time to surface) In reality she'd just inflated her dsmb, but the computer has taken a sample and extrapolated that consumption rate. 2 more samples later the computer was happy. Now she understands (it was nice just the once for her to think she was low on air given her ridiculously low consumption)

I have had TX battery issues with the Suunto Eon Pods, where I was getting only 6 months/50 dives. Suunto were incredibly helpful and supportive. Our four transmitters were exchanged a number of times for new units. The problem was finally traced to the batteries, which would degrade prematurely in our environment. (battery manufacturer recommends max 30C temps, in the shade in the summer our kit is exposed to 45C+

Although the new batteries do seem to have that issue, Suunto still only charge me for batteries that have completed their advertised life, and I understand the do the same for others in the region too. I've not had poor experience from Suunto in my region, even when I had a depth sensor fail (Suunto covered that charge too because it was an errant unit) My wife's and 3 friends who all purchased around the same time have never had an issue

Because I use SPG's, having no AI is a minor inconvenience or not something I notice. If I'm teaching say OW dives 1-4 or Rescue I might not even put them on that kit (all my TX are on QD+ short hose) and certainly they're not on in the pool (neither is my computer)

I can't get evangelical either way, and you should do what makes you happy. After all gear is just that, it enables you to get underwater, it shouldn't define the dive.

In my experience a Whale shark doesn't give a damn whether you're wearing a Teric or a Zoop :wink:
Hello. Good point with DSMB....First mention of that.
Love the Whale shark comment.

...As an example, my wife once got shocked when her computer went red with low gas alarms (Time to surface) In reality she'd just inflated her dsmb, but the computer has taken a sample and extrapolated that consumption rate. 2 more samples later the computer was happy. Now she understands (it was nice just the once for her to think she was low on air given her ridiculously low consumption)...

You would have to be reasonably close to your surfacing limit for filling a DSMB to cause your computer to alarm due to increased consumption and then quickly revert. Well, I guess that's why she was inflating her DSMB :). Even after the alarm, you have the gas to make a normal ascent and surface with your set reserve pressure, this should not cause worry.

I leave my reserve pressure set at 500 psi, or the equivalent on my Teric (560 psi, as the SS is not included). It is just a reminder. Especially when drift diving in SE Florida, with instant, free access to the surface at any time, I often surface with less that the set reserve.

You would have to be reasonably close to your surfacing limit for filling a DSMB to cause your computer to alarm due to increased consumption and then quickly revert. Well, I guess that's why she was inflating her DSMB :). Even after the alarm, you have the gas to make a normal ascent and surface with your set reserve pressure, this should not cause worry.
We were in no danger of breaching the gas reserve (50bar/750psi), but we generally launch our dsmb's deep for various reasons. In this case it was a perfectly timed when the computer was taking an instantaneous consumption reading, from which it extrapolates time to surface based on that rate (rather TTS based on average)

It was the TTS which caused the warning, gas contents were fine and had the timing of the sample been different it'd wouldn't' have been an issue.

Equally I've had my computer bitch at me because I'm below minimum gas. Except I was in water just deep enough to put it into dive mode, and could stand and have my head above the water. Users just need to understand what it's telling you and why

A classic example of this is "Why is my NDL time increasing?"

Answer 1 - Because you're getting shallower
Answer 2 - It's not NDL, it's deco. You oaf.

Never noticed this in all the DSMB deployments. I use a lp hose to inflate.

Will have to be more observant, and frighten the hell out of my buddy when it happens.

Hi @Diving Dubai

I shoot my DSMB on the deeper side also. Much easier to get a good fill, with little gas. Gives the boat something to follow for a longer time, particularly useful if there is current.

I leave my reserve pressure set at 500 psi, or the equivalent on my Teric (560 psi, as the SS is not included). It is just a reminder. Especially when drift diving in SE Florida, with instant, free access to the surface at any time, I often surface with less that the set reserve.

We were in no danger of breaching the gas reserve (50bar/750psi), but we generally launch our dsmb's deep for various reasons. In this case it was a perfectly timed when the computer was taking an instantaneous consumption reading, from which it extrapolates time to surface based on that rate (rather TTS based on average)

It was the TTS which caused the warning, gas contents were fine and had the timing of the sample been different it'd wouldn't' have been an issue.

Equally I've had my computer bitch at me because I'm below minimum gas. Except I was in water just deep enough to put it into dive mode, and could stand and have my head above the water. Users just need to understand what it's telling you and why

A classic example of this is "Why is my NDL time increasing?"

Answer 1 - Because you're getting shallower
Answer 2 - It's not NDL, it's deco. You oaf.

Never noticed this in all the DSMB deployments. I use a lp hose to inflate.

Will have to be more observant, and frighten the hell out of my buddy when it happens.

Hi @Diving Dubai

I shoot my DSMB on the deeper side also. Much easier to get a good fill, with little gas. Gives the boat something to follow for a longer time, particularly useful if there is current.

Good morning.
I think we're close....to being borderline " Off Topic."
Key words...Close, and Borderline.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Hi @Diving Dubai

Standard practise in the UK. I often require BSAC Dive Leaders to deploy their DSMB as part of the Buoyancy & Trim Workshop where they should be able to hold the stop to +/- 0.5m (Gold) or +/-0.3m (Black).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom