Air Integrated computer option for MAC users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Howdy folks,

As an underwater photographer I really prefer a wrist mount, air integrated computer. I'm also a huge fan of the Galieo as a result but unfortunately the requirement of an infrared port for log access means it's just not a fit for me as a MAC user.

I'm in the market for a new computer and would be willing to postpone the purchase if there are any plans for an air integrated version of the Meridian or possibly a next gen Galileo in the works. If not I'll probably be going with another manufacturer which I'd prefer not to do.

Figured it was worth a shot here before I pull the trigger on something from Oceanic.

Thanks in advance,
-E

The software is available for MAC... SCUBAPRO - J-TRAK

Why wouldn't a USB to IrDA adapter work on your MAC? They seem quite easy to source based on 10 sec google search....

Suunto has a program its not great but it works. There is also a program just for Macs that you can buy. I have a d4i and love it. I use suuntos on my mac

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Wow, guess I didn't realize the J-Trak software was even an option. If you drill down into the Sol or Luna, they only show the smartTRAK software as an option and there are quit a few threads here with folks talking about the inability to use either with a MAC. If this is in fact an option then I'm very tempted. Guess I'll do a little more reading to be sure. In the mean time if there's a rep who can confirm one way or another it would be greatly appreciated.

-E

Sorry, but The software for the Galileo is...in a word...HORRIBLE (in my opinion) and should be avoided at all costs! I've used it or tried to and it really is very user un-friendly!! (my GF has a Galileo).

I have both a Suunto Cobra and Mares Icon HD and use DiveLog at http://www.macdivelog.com/ and MacDive at http://www.mac-dive.com/ I like MacDive a bit more because he keeps it more up to date and he covers a wide range of computers! I also have a Shearwater Predator and he even overs that now! ScubaPro is not among those because they have chosen to be totally closed and proprietary.

If it were me, I'd prolly go the Mares Icon HD. It really is a great computer and SUPER easy to see and read and is awesome for night diving too!

JohnnyO
------------
"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

Thanks Johnny,

Looks like the real problem is complete lack of IrDA support on the Mac. So yes I can get a USB infrared port but without IrDA it looks like I can't use any of the good 3rd party logging apps. I currently use MacDive with my Oceanic but have wanted to upgrade to a Galileo for some time now. Now that my wife (to be) is in need of a computer she's going to take by PD2 and I'm going to go with something wrist mount. Looked seriously at the Predator but I really want the convenience of AI for photography. Looked into the liquivision Lynx but have heard too many bad things about their customer support so most recently I've been stalking the Oceanic Atom 3.1.

I haven't looked at the Mares Icon HD yet but will give it a look before making a decision.

ScubaPro folks, I truly am a big fan of pretty much all your gear, please don't leave us mac folks out once you finally get around to replacing the Galileo.

-E

I understand your issues concerning the MAC compatability and function. The UWATEC engineers and product team has been advised. I cannot divulge new product info however, we always have new computers in R & D to offer most features and benefits required or requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom