Air in the hood/wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

I just started diving with a new wetsuit, and am definatly having some problems with it. It is a standard Henderson 7/5 suit (no hyperstrech or instadry), and the problem seems to be a buildup of air that comes throughout the dive. When I first get in, it almost feels as though air wont come out, and it seems to get a squeeze (or somethign similar) until after getting fully submerged. However, throughout the dive, I end up with a ton of air getting into it. I think the majority of the air comes from my hood (Henderson hyperstrech 5/3). Somehow it always seems full of air during dives. I am trying to figure out how this is happening still, and while I thought I had stopped exhaleing through my nose, it tends to still build up somehow. I have also tried making sure the vent on the hood works, but I cant get it right for some reason. I have looked at other similar hoods, and the vent appears the same. I am afraid to put a straight hole in it, but that may be my next option. Anyways, the air tends to go from the hood to the suit, which is becomming very annoying, because I cannot seem to get it out underwater. I can go in a pure head down poisiton, and alot of it will flow out my boots and ankles, but not all of it. I was wondering if anyone had any problems similar to this, and knows how to fix it permanatly. I would prefer to find out why the air is getting in than the ways of getting it out. Thanks!

-Matt

I had to ditch my Henderson Hyperstrech hood, hole or no hole...seems the neoprene is just too stretchy and seal is broken easily letting air in even from reg exhaust bubbles.

I switched to a Bare hood btw.

Cheers.

-J.-

I tend to get that periodically throughout a dive too. Air from my exhaust gas comes up along my face and a little seeps into the hood. My hood is old and doesn't have a vent on it, but I don't care. You may be getting more air than I am, but to be honest, I kinda like it. As the air gets traped there at the back/top of my hood, it warms up considerably. When it gets to a point where it becomes uncomfortable, I just take my hand and push it out through the face opening of the hood. When I do this I get a warm wash of air/water over my head. Feels great. I can't say that I ever had this air get to be such a problem that it goes into the rest of my suit.

I have the same hood and a hooded vest that I use in colder water and the same thing happens to me. If air goes anywhere other than the hood you may have a trim issue to deal with. I rollover and look towards the surface a couple of times during the dive and the hood vents itself. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom