Air in tank marked Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Cant see the problem, nitrox stickers just mean the tank is O2 cleaned for nitrox.
Then the stickers should say "O2 Clean" instead of Nitrox. Nitrox implies that the tank is filled with... Nitrox!

That's the problem. Tank says Nitrox, diver thinks it has Nitrox in it. Huge tank stickers concerning tank contents should say what they mean and mean what they say.

pants!:
Then the stickers should say "O2 Clean" instead of Nitrox. Nitrox implies that the tank is filled with... Nitrox!

That's the problem. Tank says Nitrox, diver thinks it has Nitrox in it. Huge tank stickers concerning tank contents should say what they mean and mean what they say.

YES! You should also checking the quality of the air in your tank with an O2 analyser as well. Then maybe you won't have to worry about convulsions at depth or accidentaly receiveing a tank full of carbon monoxide instead.

pants!:

Not really. its a simple labelling concept thats easy to understand and fails to cause confusion. The stickers here state nitrox, also stating O2 clean with the test date and next test stamp. It purely indicates the tank (i) needs double filtered air if used with air or (ii) can have raised EAN in it if wanted. It doesnt mean you have to fill it with something. The standard for a nitrox fill is a label clearly marked with a name, date, O2 percentage and MOD. Without that its air.

Here at least a nitrox tank doesnt NEED a nitrox sticker on it - it just needs to be in O2 test anyway so it works both ways.

I cant see how anyone can possibly get confused with such a simple system.

String:
Not really. its a simple labelling concept thats easy to understand and fails to cause confusion.
Fails to cause confusion indeed :wink:

The rest of your post is just trash. "Without a contents label, it's just air." Phooey. Without you or someone you trust with your life analyzing and labeling it, no matter what its contents, you don't know what the heck it is, ESPECIALLY if it has a big NITROX sticker on it.

This is a typical NITROX sticker, btw: http://www.divex.se/nitrox/2X6300n.jpg O2 clean/VIS stickers are a different matter entirely.

Rec Diver:
YES! You should also checking the quality of the air in your tank with an O2 analyser as well. Then maybe you won't have to worry about convulsions at depth or accidentaly receiveing a tank full of carbon monoxide instead.
O2 analyzers tell you nothing about CO levels.

The problem with expecting everyone to analyze every tank is that air divers, who have not been trained to analyze a tank, will both not know how, nor have any notion that they should do so to start with.

I know that I didn't have a clue about analyzing tanks until I took my IANTD nitrox class.

pants!:

The rest of your post is just trash. "Without a contents label, it's just air." Phooey. Without you or someone you trust with your life analyzing and labeling it, no matter what its contents, you don't know what the heck it is, ESPECIALLY if it has a big NITROX sticker on it.

This is a typical NITROX sticker, btw: http://www.divex.se/nitrox/2X6300n.jpg O2 clean/VIS stickers are a different matter entirely.

Case in point. Guy around here grabbed a tank and headed over (it had NO markings on it)... and flatlined on the bottom. His buddies got him out of the water and he lived...but he had himself a big ole bottle of argon (or argonox...not real sure about this one)

pants!:
O2 analyzers tell you nothing about CO levels.

It will tell you if you've got what you think you do.

If i grab a bottle marked NITROX (why you wouldn't analyze it anyway, im not sure. EAN25 is a bit different than EAN40) and the O2 analyzer comes back at 100 or 21 then its probably not what i thought it was.

CO levels are a concern....but you'd have that concern even if NITROX didn't exist

Wayward Son:
The problem with expecting everyone to analyze every tank is that air divers, who have not been trained to analyze a tank, will both not know how, nor have any notion that they should do so to start with.

I know that I didn't have a clue about analyzing tanks until I took my IANTD nitrox class.

And thats why an air diver should not be using a tank marked nitrox.

pants!:

Only amongst people that would get confused walking and talking at the same time it seems.

Without you or someone you trust with your life analyzing and labeling it, no matter what its contents, you don't know what the heck it is, ESPECIALLY if it has a big NITROX sticker on it.

Most new tanks here have that. Again, it only means you CAN put nitrox in it. Doesnt mean you have to. No different from finding a water bottle on a floor and wondering if it contains water, white spirit or acid. It doesnt HAVE to contain water just because the lavel says. With my own tanks (all nitrox marked and labelled) i analyse all my mixes except when i know the place filling it is just putting on double filtered air into an empty tank. If i hire tanks 99% of these are O2 clean and nitrox marked but have air in them. The sticker is meaningless.
If its a nitrox fill i look for or write my own proper label with % mix and MOD so i know whats in it. If ive got air in my tanks i dont bother. Again its a non issue.

A nitrox sticker doesnt mean you have to put nitrox in the thing, it just means you can. This is drilled in at even basic open water level courses about making sure you get what you ask for and ignore pretty labels.

In this country at least there is no legal requirement for a massive "nitrox" sticker on a tank, merely an O2 clean sticker. However most tanks are labelled nitrox as well purely to aid the shop in knowing it can have nitrox OR if air is asked for it has to be double filtered. What the customer does is another matter and their problem. If theyre pathologically stupid and just blindly read a label that was intended for another purpose thats their problem - darwin will be out to get them in a short space of time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom