air in nitrox tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, even though I took the Nitrox class and got the perfect exam score. I used to forget it over time. You assume that you remember anything what you learned in the school, don't you? Just my 2 cent....

Jason B:
Short simple answer and jfoutz said it best. By the way, have you had a nitrox class. I sure would have hoped this would have been covered.

Jason

I've got another Nitrox question for you guys.

I recently finished a Nitrox course with my instructor and, have yet to to dive Nitrox outside of the course (or get a Nitrox fill from another LDS). In the class the instructor emphasized for obvious reasons that it is the divers sole responsibility to test the mix before diving it. During our class we used the instructors/dive shops O2 analyzer to do this. My questions is if it is typical when getting a Nitrox fill for the operator to test the mix for you, and show you the results, or am I expected to buy an anlyzer for the few times a year that I will use Nitrox? Or will the operator let YOU use their analyzer to test the mix? I guess this is more of a question of dive shop etiquette than anything else, since I would never dive a gas without knowing the exact composition.

OE2X:
Perhaps a more simplified version of the above:
Ask for hyper filtered air for you tank. It is 21% but it goes through and extra filtering stage. Any shop that fills nitrox will have have hyper filtered air. A shop that doesn't fill nitrox is suspect. Using hyper filtered air will not compromise your tanks nitrox rating.

Actually, any shop that does Partial Pressure fills will have hyper filtered (or clean) air. Shops with banked or membrane type systems may or may not.

Be real careful on this one. I've gone into shops that do partial pressure fills, asked for clean air fills and had the guy go over and start to hook up the regular compressor to my doubles. If you aren't sure make sure you have the discussion with whomever is filling your tanks about what you are getting ... "I need the air that you use for the nitrox fills, I just don't need any of the extra O2...."

Mark

Bnscherm:
I've got another Nitrox question for you guys.

I recently finished a Nitrox course with my instructor and, have yet to to dive Nitrox outside of the course (or get a Nitrox fill from another LDS). In the class the instructor emphasized for obvious reasons that it is the divers sole responsibility to test the mix before diving it. During our class we used the instructors/dive shops O2 analyzer to do this. My questions is if it is typical when getting a Nitrox fill for the operator to test the mix for you, and show you the results, or am I expected to buy an anlyzer for the few times a year that I will use Nitrox? Or will the operator let YOU use their analyzer to test the mix? I guess this is more of a question of dive shop etiquette than anything else, since I would never dive a gas without knowing the exact composition.
Any place I've gotten a nitrox fill the shop has let me use their analyzer. Many people do buy their own analyzer. Just make sure you check it. I have been in places that said it wasn't necessary to check their mix since it was banked or premixed. Thats no excuse for not checking it though.

jbd:
Any place I've gotten a nitrox fill the shop has let me use their analyzer. Many people do buy their own analyzer. Just make sure you check it. I have been in places that said it wasn't necessary to check their mix since it was banked or premixed. Thats no excuse for not checking it though.
Ditto!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom