Air in hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an older one piece wetsuit with the hood attached and no purge valve on top. During the dive, depending on my movement, it fills with air and I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the top to let the air escape.

I've never worked with neoprene, is there anything I need to do after drilling the hole to keep it from fraying or expanding? I this the correct fix for this problem or is there a better method.

Thanks

Dave Zimmerly:
Get some pliers and use them to heat a nail over a flame. Press hot nail into neoprene.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

EXACTLY.

The heat fuses the neoprene fibers around the hole together. Exactly what i have done, works like a charm.

as was told to me, don't be wearing it at the time. :D

dlndavid:
as was told to me, don't be wearing it at the time. :D
That's foolish - otherwise, how are you going to line up the holes in your head with the holes in the hood? You'll have to have a custom template machined by Underwater Phrenologists.

In case there is any doubt, melt the holes with a hot nail. I like a #6 finnish the the the point ground off to a blunt end. Heat it cherry red and sink it in. Have good ventilation and stay back, it's nasty stuff when it's melting!

I have a buddy the likes the air in his hood, if it works for you OK. Many divers including myself and my wife get into a lot of mask problems if the hood gets floaty.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom